• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WFG540H0AS Intermittent Ignition Problems and Oven not keeping temp

Robin_A

Model Number
WFG540H0AS
Brand
Whirlpool
I started having issues with this oven ever since it was about 4 years old. The problem is that the issues are intermittent and every time a service person would come out - the stove would work perfectly.
There are two main problems with it.
#1 The first problem has been happening for about 3 - 3.5 years. You can hear the gas come on and the igniter clicks about 4 times but doesn't actually light. Then you hear the gas turn off and it tries the whole cycle again a couple of minutes later. Usually on the 2nd or 3rd time it will light. Again, this is completely intermittent but this happens more often than not.

#2 This problem just started about 2 months ago and was also intermittent, however I would say that the problem occurs now 8/10 times... The oven will heat up to it's required temperature (let's say 350) but then just drops off after that and will not relight. The temperature display doesn't show the actual oven temperature though, I have to hit cancel and bake again to find out what the temperature actually is. Normally it's way less though (depending on how long it's been since I checked it) but it'll go down to 200 or so easily.

We had someone out to look at it recently but typical - everything worked perfect while he was there. Not one single issue. And that visit cost me $85.00 so I'm hesitant to have someone come out again and not have any issues to fix.

He suggested switching the broil and oven igniters, and we did, but we are still having the same issue.

Any suggestions? I am almost ready to just scrap it and go buy a new one.

Thanks!
Robin

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is a service pointer that comes up. Here is the part number: W10700720

And instruction if you buy the Part!

Attachments

• Service Pointer - W10702913 - Bake Burner May Not Ignite.pdf
    324.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Instruction Sheet-W10701543-Rev A.pdf
    605.6 KB · Views: 123

SnoopDeb

I am having the exact same problems and have replaced the igniter for the oven three times in 6 years. I’m curious since you posted more than a year ago if you decided to buy a new gas range or you replaced the igniter again?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member