• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WFMC3301UC-09 Bosch Nexxt 500 won't spin. Pump or control module?

Matildar2662

Premium Member
Model Number
WFMC3301UC-09
Brand
Bosch
I'm getting an error E:04 when completing a rinse and I don't get any spin post rinse. Most of the water drains except for the last bit then the pump just runs and runs but no spin then error out. I cleaned the pump cleanout really well and ran washer cleaner affresh 5 times now. The pump seems to work (not any weird noise and it pumps out lots of water after the wash cycle and on rinse before the error) but still no spin. Manual says if not all the water is drained it won't start the spin. E04 is Symptomatic of too much detergent was one cause in the manual. (my teenagers?) So now I've run the cleaning cycle over 15 times and checked for clogs. If there was a clog or pump failure I would think it wouldn't pump at all and not just on the rinse. The lack of rinse spinout started sporadically over the last 6 months but now I get the error almost every time even if run empty with no soap. Running diagnostics isn't giving me any clue other than d10 happened once and e13 pump duration is in the memory

So now thinking either the pump needs to be replaced or the control module. Looking for advice does this sound like a pump failure? Pump diagnostics show a constant stream of 88 with the very very occasional 65 or 71 after like 30x88. I'm assuming that is rpm or something? Pump replace? Or should I lay out for a $500 control module? It is 13 years old but otherwise works fine.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Bosch is not that popular in my area so I haven't worked on that many. I was unsuccessful trying to locate any service info on that machine. From your description it sounds like the control is the problem. Error codes usually stay the same across models so I looked at other models tech sheets and Er:04 is a critical error for the door lock triac on the board. Er:13 is is the pump time was exceeded. dr:10 is the power limiter switch on the board turned off due to mechanical friction or overloaded. Er:04 is the important one with replace the control. At 13 the machine has reached the end of its service life. That doesn't mean it won't continue to work for another 13 years, but the rest of the parts are still 13 years old. I haven't worked on enough Bosch machines to say it's worth a $500 part but I can say for other brands, it's usually not.

I checked several tech sheets for different models and the errors seemed to remain the same. It's possible yours is different. This is from model WFMC1001UC-07
errors.jpg

Matildar2662

Premium Member
Thank you so much for spending the time Rick as I was starting to lose sleep trying to figure this out. You did a lot of research on my behalf and I appreciate it. So... short story is the washer is FIXED! YAY!. and it cost me nothing to fix. It was a loose wire to the pressure switch. part BSH-00491681 Before spending big bucks we decided to open it up and take a look. Opening the back and top panel we noticed that the pressure switch brace was loosely screwed to the housing. So it was vibrating for 13 years. Bosch have a weird way of connecting the wires on the pressure switch that uses a guillotine connector on the wires. So one slight touch and the wire at the end just fell off. Reattached the wire and problem SOLVED. Now on my 5th load of laundry and no dreaded errors so far. (I'm sure cleaning out the debris in the cleanout also helped as well as the soap residue cleaning)

According to the repair manual I found "The water level (pressure switch) system consists of a pressure sensor and a pressure switch." pg 16 and there is a whole page on "suds lock" pg 25 where " fault E:04 can occur during oversudsing if the pressure switch locks the door, thinking washer has overfilled"

So my thoughts are that a fault in the pressure switch (loose wire) lead to error E:04 and as time went on the error happened more often as the connection was intermittent. I agree that spending $500 plus on parts would have been a write off. It was only by chance that we found the loose wire and intermittent connection. I'm wondering now how many perfectly good machines have hit the dump only because of a loose wire (due to the guillotine connection) since the pump or control module seems to be the common causes identified. (also read that lots of people have had their door switches also replaced to no avail due to E04 being related to "Door control broken" in the fault codes Page 20. ) Again Rick thank you so much for your help as yes for a $500 part I probably should be washer shopping.
Bosch WFMC3301UC_09 Washer Pressure Se #BSH-00491681.jpg

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad that's all it was. You saved her life! Thanks for the update and the manual. I really appreciate that!
I'm wondering now how many perfectly good machines have hit the dump only because of a loose wire
The answer is a lot! In the 80's -90's we bought all the used and broken appliances from one of the big box stores here in salt lake. That averaged about 30-40 appliances per day. 75% of them were scraped for parts but the other 25% usually had minor issues or no issues. Many people have the mindset, dryer quit heating, buy a new washer dryer set. Whenever we got a matching set in, one of them always worked. For dryers a common service call was a customer calling saying I got rid of my old dryer because it wouldn't heat and bought a new one and that one doesn't heat either. I reset the circuit breaker....lol
for a $500 part I probably should be washer shopping.
At 13 years old you should keep that thought on the back burner....lol

Thanks again for the manual!