• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WFW72HEDW0 Clanking noise driving us crazy!

CJerome

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW72HEDW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Good day,

We purcashes this washer and matching gas dryer new from Lowe’s about three years ago. They are stacked in our bathroom. From new the washer has made this clanking noise during spin with loads of various size. Thought that was just the noise it made until my parents. Is ted and said that’s normal. It was outside warranty so we lived with it. The noise is now to annoying and must be addressed.
Sounds like two pieces contacting each other on the right side inside the machine. Two links to videos are below. Clothes seem to be clean, machine vibrates a little but does not move or jump, basically just the annoying noise.
Recently checked the level and it was about 1/4 inch low on the left. Adjusted and no change to noise.
Would love your suggestions on how to address before I move or take anything apart as the dryer vent is hard pipe and the bathroom is small so would like to minimize down time and moving the machines on the tile.
Please let me know what other information would be helpful in the diagnosis or fix.
Thank you for Sharing your experience!
Jerome

Clanking noise with regular load
https://www.dropbox.com/s/icp6bbizme9kb53/56062289136__956DF35C-35CE-4014-AE58-B47BB38DDDA2.MOV?dl=0

No noise empty on spin only
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5x79n7qetp22ls/IMG_2993.MOV?dl=0

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jerome,

You maybe starting to have the same problem as in this thread: WFW80HEBW1 Whirlpool Duet Washer grinding noise when spinning

His model uses the exact same parts yours does.

Like I mentioned to him: I haven't worked on this model as of yet so I'm not really sure what type of bearings they are using in the outer tub assembly for these models.

Hopefully another tech. that's run into this problem can shed some light on it to see which part is causing it.

Jake

CJerome

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, hopefully someone who has experienced this noise will be able to chime in.
The noise is different than in the thread you linked to. When I spin the drum by hand there is no ‘bad’ noise, nor during the wash cycle, it really starts when the machine starts to spin more.
Jerome

CJerome

Premium Member
Problem solved
Took the washer apart yesterday found the tub drain ours had been in properly attached or actually not attached at the factory. There are two clips to hold the drain hose on the rear frame up the washer only one was actually attached to the frame which left the drain hose free to slap against the inside of the washer box.

Discuss the noise that we were hearing as soon as I properly fixed the clip I ran a test spin in the noise is gone I was also able to re-create the noise by slapping the pipe against the side of the washer which sounded very similar to what we’ve been hearing. I properly fix the clip to the washer frame put the hose in it and then also use the small bundle tie to ensure the hose with a pop out of the clip.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good find Jerome, glad that's all it was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake