• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WFW72HEDW0 Whirlpool Duet Washer not filling properly

suprnova74

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW72HEDW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a 5 year old Duet WFW72HEDW0 and it just doesn't fill sufficiently. I understand it's supposed to use minimal water, but when it is finished filling, if I stop the washer and move the clothes, there is no water in the bottom of the drum for the clothes to tumble through. After reading some service manuals, it states there should be between 2 and 5 inches of water in the bottom.

As a test, I paused the washer after it was done filling initially, and poured water in manually until it was a respectable level. (about 2-3 inches visible at the front of the drum) which was about 2 or so gallons. right when i was about to close the door and continue, it threw an F8 code and auto-drained the tub. I guess the sensor detected what it perceived as too much water.

In any event, I unfortunately cannot determine how to adjust the water level. The pressure sensor doesn't have an adjustment screw like some models have. I thought I read somewhere that adjusting the vacuum hose length may adjust the water level, but I was unsure if it was to lengthen or shorten it.

As of right now, the clothes essentially just get heavily wet but don't have any water to tumble through.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

No, there isn't a way to increase the amount of water that goes in. Make sure your water pressure to your washer is good, a lot of times I see some fill hoses have screens in the them and they can clog.

Remove your fill hoses at your washer and run them into a bucket or something to see if your water pressure is good.

Also check and clean the water inlet valve screens where the 2 fill hoses attach to.

Also make sure the drain hose comes up to the same height as the machine before it goes into your house drain pipe.

Jake

suprnova74

Premium Member
Yeah, all that is fine. The speed at which water fills is fine, i can see (and hear) it filling quite rapidly. it just stops way too soon to where there is insufficient water to truly get clean, even for an HE washer. From what it sounds like, it may just be a failing of this model design.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My Whirlpool Duet Front-Load puts the exact same amount of water in as yours does and my clothes always come out clean. Are your clothes not coming out clean?

Jake

suprnova74

Premium Member
nope, especially with a child being potty-trained/over-night trained, the limited amount of water is not sufficient to really get that kind of soil out. It takes 3+ cycles before the urine odor is removed from clothes or bedding, for instance. Or if you have heavy sweat-laden clothing as another example, the sweat-smell needs at least a full second wash. 2nd rinse cycle isn't sufficient.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'd sell it and get a top loader that has the deep fill option on it.

Or go to a used appliance store in your area and get a old fashioned used washer that fills the tub all the way up.

Jake