FIXED WFW87HEDW0 Door Latch Malfunction

QtetBari

Model Number
WFW87HEDW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Good evening, after loading the washer, putting in the detergent, setting the cycle, and starting the washer the door latch starts engaging and disengaging. At that point, it was flashing E03 and F05 error codes.

We've unplugged it for over an hour and tried again with the same results except no error codes. We turned it off but the door latch kept cycling.

Got the door open, removed the clothes, and tried again. Same thing with the door latch. Still no error codes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I've seen this before on my service calls, (F5E3) DOOR UNLOCK ERROR and that indicates your door latch lock switch will need to be replaced. Also check your door strike to make sure it didn't break off: Door Strike WPW10488048

Here's the door latch lock switch assembly for your model you can order:
WPW10443885 Latch

This is a video in this part link that shows you how to replace it: Door Latch WPW10443885 Video

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

QtetBari

Thanks for the info, Jake!

I'll double check the strike. When I looked at it last night, it seemed intact. It did have some right-to-left play because of the slotted screw holes.

I didn't get the exact F5E3 error message, it flashed e03 and f05 consecutively.

Anyway, I'll check everything out and will let you know what I find.

Thanks again!
cbb

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, Fault codes are displayed by alternately showing F# and E#.

But it means F5E3.:)

Jake

QtetBari

Good morning Jake,

Got the new part (wow was that expensive!) and had it installed in about 10 minutes. I put a light load in and ran the short cycle. Then, BAM! Error codes f01, e03 (I think.) After grumbling a little, I turned it off, unplugged the unit, and let it sit for an hour. Plugged it in, fired up another load, and it worked like a champ.

My bride has run 3 loads with no other issues, so I'm not sure why it threw the error code.

Anyway, unless something else pops up, I'm considering this "problem solved."

Thanks for your help!

Btw, I carefully took the old latch apart and discovered that the plunger that engages/disengages the lock was stuck. I manually unstuck it. Thinking about putting a light dab of lithium grease on the mechanism and reinstalling it to see if it will still work. Crazy?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new latch fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Btw, I carefully took the old latch apart and discovered that the plunger that engages/disengages the lock was stuck. I manually unstuck it. Thinking about putting a light dab of lithium grease on the mechanism and reinstalling it to see if it will still work. Crazy?
I've never tried to use grease on it before, so I really don't know.

Jake