FIXED WFW9150WW02 Whirlpool Duet Washer Stops and Beeps

ubernub

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW9150WW02
Brand
Whirlpool
My Duet washer is going senile. This is rather sad for me as it's only a bit over three years old (we got it toward the end of 2011). I've got twin toddlers so it's imperative that I get this thing operational because the soiled laundry is piling up fast!

I'm a computer engineer, I figure I can handle troubleshooting a washing machine, so here we go...

The model number is WFW9150WW02. It looks like this:
Whirlpool | Appliances for the Home, Kitchen, and Laundry Room [WFW9150WW]-1001655/WFW9150WW/

It's a front loading Whirlpool Duet Washer 4.0 cu ft, with Tumblefresh (whatever that means). No matter what cycle I choose except for rinse and drain, it starts the cycle, locks the door, then a few seconds into the cycle after getting everything wet it stops washing and starts beeping (three beeps, pause, three beeps, pause, etc).

I tried unplugging it for half an hour then running it again, no change in behavior.
I made sure that the faucets coming from the wall are on all the way, no change in behavior.

I read the manual on the page linked above, and followed the directions to get the error code.

When it stops the wash status light flashes three times, pauses for half a second, then flashes two times, then pauses for two seconds. This apparently is error code F3E2, which means:

“F--E--” Variables (Washer Problem)
Press POWER to cancel the cycle. Select RINSE/DRAIN &
SPIN if there is excessive water in the washer.
Re-select cycle and press START/PAUSE. If the problem
remains, call for service.
Googling was a little more helpful. This error code means the the temperature sensor has lost its connection or faulty, or the control unit has lost its ability to read it.

My plan is to take this thing apart, disconnect and reconnect cables, and put it back together.

Where is the temperature sensor located?
Where is the control unit located?
What other steps should I take?

ubernub

Premium Member
Update, I found the control unit. The only connector that looks jiggly ls labeled TH2 and the two black wires run deep into the machine. I'll have to get the back off to get down there but I'm guessing that goes to the temp sensor. The clip that holds them into the CCU (I think that's the right term) has a jiggly top while all the others are firmly in place.

ubernub

Premium Member
I think I found the culprit, one of the two black wires snapped at a zip tie just below the sensor. Now to figure out how to replace it. Are these wires and their connectors sold at any old hardware store locally or do they have to be bought online?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Find!

Ok, the best and easiest way is to just strip/splice and wire nut that wire back together.

Just strip back the insulation about an inch on each wire, then get a wire nut to wire nut that wire together. Wire nuts come in different sizes, orange is most common for most wires, if that wire looks smaller than your other wires in the machine, then get a blue wire nut.

You can get a wire stripping tool and wire nut at any hardware store or Sears:

Here's the water temperature sensor for this model for others following your thread and run into this same problem. I'm also posting the video which shows the wire tie where the wire broke.

WPW10467289 Water Temperature Sensor

Here's the video, it shows a good still photo of it at the 3:09 mark:

[video=youtube;_kH4aAhi8K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kH4aAhi8K4[/video]

Jake

ubernub

Premium Member
A wire nut, that's brilliant! There really is no simpler solution. Thank you for your advice! :)

I stripped the broken ends with child safety scissors and twisted them together with my fingers so I could get a couple loads of laundry done until I can get to the hardware store. It's not a repair that'll last or is safe but it got the clothes clean.

Once I got it running again it started rocking violently during the spin cycle. It seems the back right foot is higher than the other three. Do they lose their level over time? I had to sit on the front to keep it from shaking. I'll have to figure out how that is adjusted next. Any advice before I try and do it myself?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The legs should have lock nuts on them, make sure the machine is level then lock those legs nuts in place tight.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

Keit Lep

Grateful that you posted this! I had the exact same issue; black wire to temp sensor broke off at the zip tie. Thanks to your clear descriptions I was able to fix the problem quickly. What a relief.

A thousand kudos, Keith

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear that you're back in business as well Keith, thanks to what ubernub found above and shared it with us.:)

Jake

TM-Canada

I encountered the exact same F3E2 error code just now on Whirlpool Duet Washer WFW9150WW.

In my case, the wiring harness had fallen off the temperature sensor. With the front panel removed and the washer moved forward and tipped back against the wall so I could work easily, I saw the dangling wire harness near the rear of the drum. I was able to reconnect it by feel; no need to remove the rear panel in my case.

Thanks to ubernub for posting such clear steps (I too am an Electronics Engineer) and to those who provide advice for repairs. I've found this forum to be very helpful and it has saved me a lot of time and money locating problems over the years. I will make a donation shortly to help keep the wheels spinning. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job on yours to TM-Canada.:)

Thanks for the donation, it all goes back in the server cost to run the site.:)

Jake