• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WFW9300VU02 Whirlpool Washer F1 & F28 Error Code

DanY123

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW9300VU02
Brand
Whirlpool
The washer stops mid cycle with the F1 error code flashing. It also has a F28 code stored. The water pump was replaced and there are no obstructions preventing it from draining and it does drain the water out. Does this mean that the main control board is bad or the motor control board is bad? How do you tell which one is faulty? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dan,

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

F1--->EEPROM ERROR
A communication error between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the EEPROM onboard the CCU occurred.

Possible Causes/Procedure
A power glitch may cause this error.
– Unplug washer or disconnect power for two minutes.
– If the error still exists replace the CCU board.

Here's the CCU for your model:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-wpw10169230-ap6016145_01_l.jpg

Attachments

• techsheet-8183018-revb.pdf
    375.3 KB · Views: 31

DanY123

Premium Member
I'm sorry Jake the code is F21 & F28 Not F1. The F21 is why I changed the water pump. And now that I've been watching the washer more closely I get the SUD on the display then it starts to drain and stops with the F21 code. Sorry for the mix-up.

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan, BIG difference between F1 and F21.:)

SUD means your using too much detergent, cut what your using in half and use COLD WATER ONLY to flush out the suds.

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
There were very little if any suds in the washer. I had tried to restart the washer a couple of times to try and finish the cycle and did not add any soap to the wash. So most of the detergent was gone. The SUD would show and the washer would stop for several minutes, it would start to drain for a while, the machine would stop then the F21 code would show. This was the first time I saw the SUD displayed. The other times it would go into a drain part of a cycle and eventually stop and display the F21.
Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan F21--->LONG DRAIN--->If the drain time exceeds eight minutes, “F21” will be displayed, the water valves will turn off and the pump will stop running.
Press PAUSE/CANCEL to drain the machine. The display will be cleared and the machine will turn off after a maximum of eight minutes.

1. Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked.
2. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
3. Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.
4. Check the drain pump filter for foreign objects.
5. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
6. If the above does not correct the problem, go to step 7.
7. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
8. Replace the pump.

You have already replaced the drain pump?

Get a stopwatch and time how long it takes ALL the water to drain out of the tub from start to finish and report back.

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
Yes I have replaced the pump, there were no obstructions in the old pump. The pump drains the washer quickly, I'd say in about a minute or less but continues to run and it appears that the next part of the cycle never starts to spin the drum and after several minutes it stops with the F21. I unplugged the washer for several hours then plugged it back in and have run 3 "normal" cycles with out issue but I done this a few times and I know it will eventually stop mid cycle with the F21 code. I will time it when I do another load and report back. Thanks

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I will time it when I do another load and report back. Thanks
Yes Dan, please do, because if its draining all the water out within 90 seconds you should not be getting the F21 error code.

SUDS LOCK (OVERDOSE OF DETERGENT DETECTED DURING THE WASH CYCLE)
If suds are detected continuously by the pressure switch during the drain or spin phases, the washer will fill 4 liters of water and during 5 minutes the unit will rest without tumbling, the water will be drained and it will try to spin or drain again.
If too much detergent was used:
1. Run through a RINSE/SPIN cycle.
2. Run a NORMAL cycle without adding any detergent.
This should clear the unit of the excess detergent.
1. Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked.
2. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
3. Check wire harness connections to the drain pump, pressure switch, and Central Control Unit (CCU).
4. Check/clean drain pump filter of foreign objects.
5. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
6. Check drain pump.
7. Check the pressure switch.
8. Verify CCU operation by running a Diagnostic Test or any cycle.

Also, while no water is in the tub, remove the pressure switch hose and blow through that hose hard, that will clear the air dome at the bottom of the tub. Video included in part link.

Here's the pressure switch hose for your model:
Hose WPW10004260

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan, good.

Did you blow through the pressure switch hose?

If so and you still get F21, Then obviously the CCU is causing the FALSE ERROR CODE.

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
Did a "heavy duty" cycle and finished without incident. So if I continue to get the F21 & F28 codes I should replace the CCU?

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member