• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WFW9600T Whirlpool Washer sounds like a train when spinning

lamune

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW9600T
Brand
Whirlpool
Over the last year or so this old washer has been getting really loud. Now that we're home more I really notice it. It sounds like a train rolling by along with a metallic clatter that says something is clearly wrong. I can also lift the inner drum and move it about an inch. I'm guessing the bearings are shot.

Looking at a parts diagram online I don't see bearings, I just see an outer drum which I assume has bearings installed, and it's a pricey part. I do see bearing kits available inexpensively, and I have automotive tools to remove and install bearings that look like that. Any advice on which way to go?

Also is there a service manual available for this washer?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your rear outer tub bearings are shot. When I worked at Wards and Sears and the rear bearing went out we were only allowed to replaced it per the OEM bearing which comes only with a new outer tub assembly. So I have never replaced just the bearings themselves alone.

Here's the rear outer tub assembly(with the new bearing already installed) for your model:

I'll post a couple video below to show you how to remove it and replace it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its a ALL DAY JOB to do.

Jake

lamune

Premium Member
Ah, I forgot to follow up with this. I did actually buy the bearing kit and managed to somehow successfully get them replaced. What a difference that made! But wow what a pain to do. However for the relatively low cost of the bearing/seal kit and if you don't mind spending a day doing it, it's probably a lot cheaper than getting a new washer in most cases. It's been fixed for a few months now and so far, so good.

The bearings themselves were completely destroyed. The ball cages were mutilated, some pieces of them ejected out the back of the drum, some of them smashed into pseudo-balls. With nothing to push against I had to cut the outer races with a Dremel-style cutoff wheel to get them out.

I did pack some synthetic bearing grease in there to hopefully block water for a while when the drum seal goes bad again. Not sure if that'll make a difference but I don't think it'll hurt. Also I changed the belt while I had it apart, and wow the new belt makes a bunch of burning rubber smell when it breaks in. I really thought the thing was on fire the first time I ran a full cycle.

Anyway I hope that helps someone else if they are in a similar situation.

Attachments

• PXL_20201003_014553397.jpg
    PXL_20201003_014553397.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20201002_201916396.jpg
    PXL_20201002_201916396.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20201002_222052982.jpg
    PXL_20201002_222052982.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 3

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin