FIXED WGD92HEFC Whirlpool dryer "check vent" light & moister sensing issues

MxRacer965

Premium Member
I replaced every bit of foam between the blower and the drum. This is representative of what was there.

A20B1038-E952-4F24-B6CF-A00CD486CFED.jpeg

The felt drum seals seemed fine but I have no way to really tell I guess? Nothing was torn. I replaced all the foam with new, better foam.

70CBEDFC-D03D-40C7-8665-03A98D90B11F.jpeg

A ran a couple loads but I’m not sold that this solved the issue. I did have the “check vent” light come on once but I restarted the load and ran a couple more after without issue on the “normal” mode. It does seem to take some time to dry, around 1 hour, but i wonder if I can attribute that to “high efficiency”...use less gas in exchange for a longer run time?

I installed the vent again and will probably wait for some laundry to build up and see if I can do a couple loads and see how it handles things but I think the flame was stronger with the new seals in place. I guess that would make some sense why it worked fine all this time and got intermittent while every component checked out fine....foam may have degraded plus vibration leading to excess air leakage?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm really out of suggestions, if the foam sealing you did does not resolve it, then I'd have Whirlpool come out and see what they say.

Jake

MxRacer965

Premium Member
Had to build up some laundry for a few days to put it to the test...it failed. Miserably. I have the vent connected again, ran a small load on low heat due to some of the clothing and the check vent light illuminated quickly. Clothes came out dry though. Running a second, larger load...no check vent light but the flame is coming on for about 10-20 seconds and shutting back off. That load still hasn't finished and it has been over an hour. The display has said 12 minutes remaining for 10-15 minutes now so clearly it is still not functioning correctly.

To add insult to injury I can't get a repair person to come because I worked on it. So I guess I may have to replace the entire thing at this juncture...

MxRacer965

Premium Member
I think I got it...

I always thought it was odd that I didn’t notice a seal on the door, but figured maybe something inside. Today I decided to pull the door off and open it up. Nothing. Just a sheet of glass rattling around held by two clips.

E1F0325F-F5B2-4557-A2EE-D5D7B9D06108.jpeg

1A2F2AEC-DF95-4E02-8C09-04CEC7AABD75.jpeg

39B7484E-A3A5-43C5-BE50-0EDCDECBAAD4.jpeg

I notice on the diagram a seal is most definitely specified, and I saw pictures of the WGD92HEFW (white version) with the door open and a seal clearly present. I took some of the foam I bought to seal up everything below and put some on the glass window and installed. I also put a strip around the door and put the door back on. Fired it up with a load in and I gave up watching the flame after 10+ minutes of watching it run. It has NEVER gone over 2 minutes of flame since I started this without shutting off so 10+ minutes is a huge difference.

This has been missing since DAY ONE! Why it “seemed” to function is beyond me. Maybe it never did function right, but was just enough that we didn’t notice...maybe since the glass was free to largely rattle around it shifted and created a bigger air leak. Dunno...but I’m pretty irritated if this really is it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WOW, I'm totally in shock right now, how on earth would the door seal turn up missing? Where did you buy this dryer from, was it a floor model? I've never seen that happen in my 30+ plus years of appliance repair.

Here's the door seal for your model:
W11126230 Seal

The mystery is solved!

Jake

MxRacer965

Premium Member
Purchased new from Sears during a Black Friday sales event in November 2016; it was not a floor model that was delivered to our knowledge; we paid for new.

Stuffed our washer as full as I could so I could ultimately punish the dryer...and the dryer worked great. I watched the flame run a solid 20 minutes without interruption (stopwatch timed) before I called it quits because my neck was starting to hurt lol!

I sent a note to Whirlpool documenting what was done, what was missing, and asking if they could send me the missing seal gratis...they said “No, you worked on it. Sorry for the inconvenience”. Cant say I’m impressed by that response. I was hoping for a “wow, sorry our top notch assembly team and processes missed that! Can you send us your address and we’ll get that in the mail for you?” More than anything it was a “test” to see how they would handle a documented situation where I spent time and money replacing parts only to find the factory screwed up. I’m just asking them to provide what they didn’t from the factory. They didn’t oblige. Can’t say I’m inclined to purchase Whirlpool in the future. Sad too considering I live a little over an hour away and prefer to patronize US companies, especially in my home state and region.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Didn't you only replace the gas coils? Remember how I told you to hold off on ordering the CCU? LOL, Glad you didn't order that.:)

Whirlpool would of sent you the door seal for free if you would have noticed it missing in the first year of ownership.:)

That's what is confusing to me too, how did it work from when you bought it in 2016 till now with the door seal missing?

Jake

MxRacer965

Premium Member
I did the coils, high limit thermostat, and outlet thermistor (plus accidentally touched and broke the ignitor so I replaced that too). All still cost less than a service call, and I learned more by doing instead. Plus my original multimeter didn’t have a temperature probe so now I got that and can use the old meter at my parents cottage...

I’m dismayed at the response by the manufacturer (that has links to repair info and parts on their site) and appliance repair shops is “we won’t touch it since you did”, as well as Whirlpools response of “sorry, not gonna help” once I found they screwed up at the factory. This seal has to cost them next to nothing, and it’s a current model. I sent them a link to this post that details everything so it’s not as if I’m asking them to replace parts for free; I’ve shown I bought parts on my own to troubleshoot. I just asked for what I didn’t get that I should have...I just didn’t know it at the time I didn’t get them...

I greatly appreciate the assistance. Don’t know how to repay the favor but if there is a way please let me know!