• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WGD9450WW1 Whirlpool Duet Front Load Dryer stops flame after 2 flame cycles

Tupjlr

Premium Member
Model Number
WGD9450WW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Last week my wife got a new vacuum hose attachment designed to clean out lint from the dryer vents. She ran the new fangled thing and got some lint out and then tried to run the dryer. This is where the fun begins. The heat only stays on for a short time before remaining cold. So I crack her open from the bottom access panel, and after some checking where ignition coil lights up but no flame after first cycle, I decide to replace the 4 primary sensors and thermostats in and around the blower assembly and the flame tube. While I was doing that I was manually cleaning out the dryer from the inside of all lint and dirt to make it spotless including replacing the exhaust tubing to the outside. Put it all back together quickly as I was out of time that day and asked wife to put in wet clothes to see what happens. Clothes remained wet and cold. I pulled clothes and tested it with the bottom access panel open. Now the dryer will start up just fine and runs with full flame for perhaps 3 minutes then flame turns off as expected when it reaches temperature. Roughly a minute later, the ignition coil lights up and the flame comes on again for a 2nd cycle of flame. After 30 seconds of this, flame turns off. On 3rd cycle, the ignition coil lights up but no flame. I normally can hear the gas solenoid clicking to open the gas valve with it ignites but not this time. Ignition coil turns off and 50 seconds later it repeats with same no flame result. This continued on for another 20 minutes of monitoring. I'm somewhat at a loss on why flame will not come on. I keep thinking it might be the high temp thermostat on the flame tube but I tested the brand new one I installed with volt meter and shows no issue. As I read more into the finer workings of the unit and see that there is a moisture sensor built in to the lint collection vent grill. Given that the wife vacuumed in that area before the dryer stopped working, I am wondering if this may be the issue.

So my question is.... Does the moisture sensor control whether the flame ignites or not when the ignitor coil starts? Otherwise I might need to consider the Flame sensor (6008294) as the next possible culprit.

For reference I have replaced the following parts: 8573028 High Limit Thermostat, 8577274 Thermistor, 3977393 Thermal Fuse, 3392519 Thermal fuse. And after running diagnostics, see no error codes.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need.
whirlpool-coil-kit-for-279834-ap3094251_01_l.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When you remove the coils, one of the valve stems has a metal sleeve on it. Occasionally, it will stick in the old coil and get thrown away. It won't work without it and it only comes with a new valve assembly.
valve sleeve.jpg