• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WGP83801 Whirlpool Range - Substituting discontinued temperature sensor for oven

eljosho

Premium Member
Model Number
WGP83801
Brand
Whirlpool
Our oven was running much too hot and burning everything, so I did some research online which pointed to the temperature sensor being the issue. I removed it, tested the resistance with a multimeter, and that seems to be the culprit. Unfortunately that part appears to be discontinued.

As you can see in the attached pic, my sensor has two wires that connect separately instead of a two wire plug. Is it possible to substitute a different Whirlpool sensor and either wire it in directly, or wire in the newer connector?

Thanks!

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That doesn't look like any oven sensor I've seen. It looks more like a safety thermostat of some kind.

Unfortunately I can not locate a parts list for that Canadian model to look it up. Try contacting Whirlpool Canada to see if they can supply a parts list in PDF format you can upload to the forum here for us to view.

Dan O.

eljosho

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply, Dan.

It's the only part that has a probe going into the oven, but doesn't look like other sensors I've seen online. Perhaps it's both integrated.

I'm waiting for a callback from Whirlpool Canada. I will report back when I know more.

-J.

eljosho

Premium Member
Just spoke with Whirlpool Canada, and the rep wasn't even able to find a parts list. I'd say I'm SOL on this one and it's new stove time.

-J.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
eljosho said:
Whirlpool Canada rep wasn't even able to find a parts list
I'm sure they just reply on their online parts lists. I already checked, that model isn't listed there. If you want to try again, you can tell them it should be on parts microfiche # 221 grid C9. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of it. You could also contact a local appliance parts supplier and ask them to look it up for you.

If you can at least get that part's part number, there's a slim chance I might be able to trace it. Otherwise, maybe shop for a new range on Black Friday?

Dan O.

eljosho

Premium Member
I checked with a local parts shop, and it is a discontinued part. He said he would have to go to the microfiche, and had a good laugh when I told him where to look. There is a universal replacement kit for the oven thermostat, but it's $145 + tax.

Now weighing if it's worth that investment into that older stove. It could be shopping time.

Thanks again for the help, Dan.

-J.