FIXED What should the resistance be of a rollout limit control switch 36tx16

qman

Premium Member
Model Number
36tx16
Brand
-major brand-
Good evening gentlemen,

I am having a problem with my furnace producing heat consistently. It will work for a period of time, and sporadically stop and will not produce heat again until it is messed with (turned off and on, switched off, etc.). when this happens, the main blower still works, but there is no flame, so no heat. I am not sure if the problem is a caused by the ignitor, a gas valve, a limit rollout control switch, or something else.

The problem is reproduced if one of the wires is unplugged from the limit rollout control switches, breaking continuity.

I think the simplest diagnostic test I can run is to check the resistance of the 3 limit rollout control switches to see if there is any damage causing inconsistent continuity. However, I don't know what the resistance should be to tell if there is a problem or not. This can rule out or confirm a limit rollout control switch problem.

I do not know the exact brand and model number of the limit rollout control switch, but "36tx16" is printed on the side and when I Google "36tx16" a bunch of pictures pop up that look identical to the part on my furnace.
Thank you in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Top of the Morning to ya qman!

I'm not very versed in HVAC, hopefully another HVAC tech that does these DAY IN and DAY OUT can assist you here.

But it sounds like possibly a thermostat problem, what type thermostat do you have? Digital? Analog?

Jake

qman

Premium Member
Wassup Jake. Wife is really liking the Whirlpool washer and dryer you recommended. Thanks a lot.

As for the heater, it turned out to be the pressure control switch. I disconnected the rubber hose and sucked on it and the switch seemed to have actuated but I really don't know how they work. Since it was 3° out had to call in the emergency fixer.

I did ohm test the fuses (turns out there are 4 in series). The resistance of each is 0.4 OHMs. Since they're all the same I figured they must be fine.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wife is really liking the Whirlpool washer and dryer you recommended. Thanks a lot.
Yes, they are good solid built machines.:)

As for the heater, it turned out to be the pressure control switch. I disconnected the rubber hose and sucked on it and the switch seemed to have actuated but I really don't know how they work. Since it was 3° out had to call in the emergency fixer.

I did ohm test the fuses (turns out there are 4 in series). The resistance of each is 0.4 OHMs. Since they're all the same I figured they must be fine.
Very interesting, I would of never thought of that unless I worked in HVAC day in and day out, like I do appliances.:)

Excellent qman, glad you're back in business.:)

Jake