Where does a person look for vintage range knobs - for a General Motors/Frigidaire RM-4

Brett Anderson

Premium Member
I don't know the year but it looks like early 60s - possibly older. The plastic knobs have broken but universal knobs haven't worked. The reason is that the part that slides over the shaft on the switch is not even with the front surface on the range. The shaft is inset, so the knob needs to be sticking into the range a ways in order to connect properly. Designed that way. Anyone see a place where I can find such a knob? I'm not restoring this range so any knob could work. Pictures of originals atatched.
Brett

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
RM4 is a 1950 model. It would be pretty rare to find most parts still available anywhere but the part # for the front burner knob is 5422371 and the rear, # 5422372. They might also be found under the newer Frigidaire #'s 05422371, 5305422371 and 05422372, 5305422372 respectively.

I don't know of any universal knobs with extended shafts.

You might need to look for an old range with similar knobs you can buy for parts. Or try asking some of the appliance restoration companies lists at the following link. Maybe they have something suitable kicking around?

LINK > Appliance411 : Links : Restoration

You could also take a sample to a local used appliance store to see if they have anything close kicking around.

Good Luck!

Dan O.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BTW, the knob with just the broken shaft might be able to be repaired with epoxy puddly.