• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool 7-1 Fault but Heating Element is fine

s2c172

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF750SAYB3
Brand
Whirlpool
Thanks in advance for any assistance

My Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher Model WDF750SAYB3 (and its black too by the way :). is not completing its cycle and I got the codes to flash on the CLEAN led which show 7-1 which from what I have read is the heating element. I had good continuity with a meter but thought it still might have been the problem so I replaced it. The wires and connections all look good underneath as well. The resistance on the new and Old coil was the same (about 12.5 Ohms) but the dishwasher performed the same last night. It cleans somewhat but leaves detergent in the base and doesn't fully dry. This morning before work I checked and it still is showing the 7-1 Code. Could it be the Main control board?, or does 7-1 mean something else? Also the element is working because the sides of it are getting nice and hot, I am running it in the middle of kitchen floor while trouble shooting and you do have steam if you open it mid cycle.

Additional questions.
1. Does this model have a button pattern to reboot the control board?
2 What is the best cycle to run trouble shooting on normally we use SENSOR but I have been using HEAVY to force it to clean longer or to rule out a sensor issue. Maybe I should use 1 hour to speed up the results of my trials.

Thanks Again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The wash motor circulates the water through the spray arms over the heating element, thus the water gets heated properly and no error code 7-1 shows up. If the wash motor is not running the water is not getting heated properly, thus error code 7-1.

It's more than likely the wash motor itself that's bad, been seeing quite of few of these go bad as of late.

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video: Dishwasher Circulation Pump Replacement

Let us know what you find.

Jake

s2c172

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks so much for the reply I will check the motor tonight, perhaps I just have some junk in the pump.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Also run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Jake