• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool ARC5551 - make it less noisy

goblinsly

Premium Member
Model Number
ARC5551
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi everyone !
I own a Whirlpool ARC5551 fridge. I live in a very small apartment, basicly its like 1 big room, soo i have nowhere to hide the fridge and my bed is about 4m away from it. It is not very loud, at least compared to some refrigerators i saw, but it still bothers me. At first i thought this is bad news but upon inspecting the back of the refrigerator, i got some good news. First of all, the refrigerator is completely passive cooled, meaning no fans whatsoever.

First i thought if i add a fan or two, i would cool down the compressor quite a bit, which would lead to shorter cycles of it working ( correct me if i am wrong but, if compressor is very hot, it is working less efficiently - if i add a fan or two cooling it down, the whole cycle should be shorter, right ? ).

But then another thing hit me. I am a computer science student and in my spare time i do a lot of modifications for computers, cooling them down, making them silent, etc. And from experience i know that passive cooling component vs an active cooling device, even if its a small fan at low rpm has a huge difference in temperature ( talking about a difference of 40C vs 90C ). Soo basicly it would be possible to close the compartment with a compressor to prevent the noice from going out but also making 1 small hole to get cold air inside and 1 hole for taking it out, using my big 120mm fans for cooling. If done right i am pretty sure the compressor would still have a lower temperature while the noice would be reduced about 90%. What do you think ? I added some pictures of the fridge and a manual.

DSC_0387.JPGDSC_0373.jpgDSC_0376.jpgDSC_0380.jpg

View attachment whirlpool_arc_5551.pdf

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats the problem, your compressor is 220-240 volts at 50Hz. So we have no idea if that will work or not.

Here in the USA, all compressors for refrigerators are 120 volts 60Hz.

You will need to ask that question in a European appliance repair forum.

You can try here: UK Whitegoods

Jake

goblinsly

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply, i posted this topic on the forum you linked. But maybe speaking on general....is what i am planing even possible ? I have some hope because if this fridge is fanless by default....it must be able to bear quite high compressor temperatures....even more if you consider how hot it is in certain areas and if the fridge is wall to wall from all 3 sides....it barely has any air. Btw right now i have it on 3 out of 7 soo i guess its working allright even though its summer.
Btw i can hear 2 different noices from the fridge. 1 is that compressor working, but the other is like little moans....there is no better way that i could describe it as some distant female moans ( and yes, it is coming from the fridge heh ). Is this the gas or something ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good questions but I don't know the answers to them.

Jake

goblinsly

Premium Member
If i could, i would ask some general questions which apply to basicly all fridges of today.

First of all, as far as i know, the gas comes into compressor in gas form, compresses into liquid or almost liquid, also heats up, goes into condenser where it cools and becomes gas form. Then goes into fridge, where it slowly becomes liquid again, drawing heat in the process ( aka making fridge cooler ).

Soo when it takes all the heat it can, it goes into compressor again and the circle begins. Now i was wondering. When it is in contact with compressor, surely compressor takes some heat from it ( the cooler the compressor the more heat it can take from the gas ). Same with condenser. If condenser is very cool, then it will take more energy from gas, therefor cooling it off a lot more then if it was very very hot to begin with. And when that gas goes into fridge....the cooler it is, the more heat from fridge it can absorb. Am i right ?

I am asking you because i have seen some ppl watercool their condenser and only now it makes sence. Basicly you can cool down your fridge to wanted temperature in less cycles ( aka less compressor - condenser - fridge .. ) if you keep compressor and condenser cooler. Would mean less electricity usage also but that is another story.

That is why some fridges have external fans and some dont. Mine for instance doesnt. I know most of the builtin fridges have external fans because there is barely any space behind them for air circulation and they need a bit of help.

I hope you can answer this questions, like i said, they apply to basicly all fridges of today. Thank you in advance !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Basic Refrigeration now playing on Youtube:

[video=youtube_share;b527al9D_rY]http://youtu.be/b527al9D_rY[/video]

Jake

goblinsly

Premium Member
Thank you for this video, made many things clear.

Soo if i understand correctly, extra cooling of condenser doesnt help much or at all, because its the phase change that cools ( gas changing from liquid to gas form ). What about if condenser isnt cooled properly, does that mean that not all gas will liquify therefor less gas will evaporate meaning less cooling effect ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What about if condenser isnt cooled properly, does that mean that not all gas will liquify therefor less gas will evaporate meaning less cooling effect ?
Yes, thats 100% correct.:)

Jake

goblinsly

Premium Member
Great ! Soo if i sense that condenser is too hot or is not cooling well enough, i will simply add a fan !

I am pretty sure my compressor has some safefail to protect it from overload ( overheat ). But i am worried that when this failsafe kicks in, the damage will be done. How tough are compressors anyway ? With all the mechanical work it does, i am amazed that it came without a fan attached, i know i cant hold my finger on it more then 2 seconds without burning. When i "overhaul" the fridge to be silent, i will add at least 2 120mm fans to cool it down.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just use a fan pointing at the condenser coil.

Jake