• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool/Bauknecht Combination Microwave MW49 Not Heating

comausa

Premium Member
Model Number
MW49
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi there, I'm new on this Forum - thanks much in advance for your assistance/help.

Here is my problem: bought a Whirlpool/Bauknecht combination 5-in-1 microwave in Germany (5-in-1 combination not available in US) and brought it over to US on our last trip there. Please note, that we have done this successfully before with a combination microwave unit from Panasonic. We run the microwave appliances on a 220V outlet.

Out of the box, the microwave mode of the new appliance didn't work. Grill and Convection features work as advertised. Hired a locale appliance repair service that determined the high voltage transformer powering the Magnetron is bad. Sourced the spare part myself and installed the new transformer, but unfortunately the microwave mode is still not heating up anything inside (obviously the repair service had no clue - waste of money).

Looking for guidance on how to trouble shoot the microwave function of this appliance to find the underlying fault. I have attached a picture of the microwave component side of the appliance.

Thanks much in advance - any help/guidance would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• Bauknecht MW49 Internals.jpg
    Bauknecht MW49 Internals.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 31

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, as much as we would love to help you, we can't, your European model is completely different than the USA models.

Try a European forum called UK Whitegoods.

Jake

comausa

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the update and UK forum suggestion. What and how is it different other than voltage input? Trying to learn ...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Because UK operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.

USA is 120V supply voltage and 60Hz.

That model is no made to work in the USA.

Jake

comausa

Premium Member
Hi, as much as we would love to help you, we can't, your European model is completely different than the USA models.

Try a European forum called UK Whitegoods.

Jake
Because UK operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.

USA is 120V supply voltage and 60Hz.

That model is no made to work in the USA.

Jake
Hi Jake, thanks for the clarification. I'm very well aware of the differences in power voltage and frequency. But other than the power conversion from grid power to low voltage components, all other components in a microwave should be the same, no? We actually have been running a 230V European microwave model from Panasonic without any kind of issues here in California on the 220V power outlets in our house.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.