• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Cabrio washer WTW8200YW0, tub loose on shaft after shaft replacement

Thor.

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW8200YW
Brand
Whirlpool
I replaced the shaft and bearings on my WTW8200YW washer after bearings got noisy with the kit W10435302. All was fine until I reinstalled the inner tub on shaft. I noticed the tub was loose on the shaft. Also I can lift the tub up about 3/4 inch on the shaft when all installed. A little play on the shaft vs I had to use a car jack to take it of the old shaft…… Also noticed the agitator was a bitt higher in the tub as if the shaft I had replaced was to long/tall.

The machine do not throw any codes on the test program, it will give me a UL code associated with the typical out of balance when in the spin cycle even with just a few items in the washer.

To me it look like I might have ended up with a different size shaft (to long 3/4” and to slim) but the parts supplier verified the right part for my washer and Whirlpool verified the part# for my washer was correct.

What seem to be the problem with this repair?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Thor.

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

In the tub where the shaft goes, is it supposed to be a sleeve that might have come out stuck on the old shaft that I tossed😫? There is to much play between the shaft and the tub so it will Unbalance (UB) as soon as it start the spin cycle. And the new shaft also end up making the agitator ride to high about 1/4” the tub I can lift about 3/4” before It hits the agitator.
Any idea of what is wrong?

Thank you for the reply

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's possible, I haven't replaced this bearing kit as of yet, but here's the photo below of how the outer tub bearing shaft slot should be(photo below).

Does the old bearing shaft seem like the sleeve is pressed on it?

Jake

Thor.

Premium Member
It is just as the YouTube above. I used that film to guid me through the process initially with the bottom bearing not fully flush spacer and washer between the two bearings……
Yes the sleeve is pressed on the shaft, not possible to budge.
thinking I need to shim the tub and the shaft to avoid the UL maybe.

Attachments

• 9C8499D9-6C3F-400D-A85E-B11C8EA7F2AB.png
    9C8499D9-6C3F-400D-A85E-B11C8EA7F2AB.png
    881.9 KB · Views: 33

Thor.

Premium Member
FIXED I believe……

Ok so I was contemplating to throw the machine away and buy a new one if the last effort was not going to resolve the issue.
I took it all apart and started from the beginning and the only thing I might have done different was the electric rotor might have been installed the wrong way. MAKE SURE THE CONECTORS ARE FACING UP TOWARD THE OUTER TUB. Strange it can fit both ways anyway……
After installing the it this way it seem to be working a lot better, yes the tub is loose on the shaft and you can move the tub up on the shaft about 1/2, 3/4“

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you found out what the problem was.(y)

After installing the it this way it seem to be working a lot better, yes the tub is loose on the shaft and you can move the tub up on the shaft about 1/2, 3/4“
That's normal for your model, as your model is called a floating tub model, meaning the bottom of the inner tub is hollow so the tub will "float" once the washer has filled..:)

Jake

Thor.

Premium Member
What got me on that note though is I had to use a jack just like the video show and I guarantee that tub did not move. Anyway for now it look like it is doing just fine. Thanks for reply, look like we both learned somthing out of this👍

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, everyday we learn something new.:)

Thanks for letting us know.(y)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.