Not open for further replies.

Vpolitano

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5550XW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Folks,

I have Whirlpool Cabrio model WTW5550XW0 which my customer tells me it stops during a wash load and she has been unplug the power in order to be able to restart the machine. It also take a long time to start a load, it tries to go through sensing but it struggles, eventually it lets the water in and the machine starts. This could take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes. I am able to run through the Automatic test mode fine, and i am able to run all the tests in the manual test mode. I also went through the tech sheet and all checked out fine.

I listed the fault codes, it's a F1 E2 (Motor Control Fault) Indicates a fault of the motor control section of the main control.
• See TEST #3b: Drive System.

I decided i would try and run through a calibration since all the tests passed, and that where I think i found the problem. When i start the calibration the Lid Lock engages and the Lid LED comes on, and that's it. it will sit there doing nothing with only the Lid LED lit. I am suspecting the Main Control Board, but i am also suspect about the Shift Actuator. Anyone have thoughts they could share ?

thanks

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Vpolitano

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. I did perform all the sub-tests cases under test 3B, that is how i was able to identify the Main Control Board, my question was if the Shift Actuator could also be a culprit ?

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The service manual tells you how to test the Shift actuator.

Here's how to test your Shift Actuator - You will need a multimeter to test it.

TEST#3A:
Remove the J16 connector from the main control board and ohm test across the J16, 1 and 2 Connector Pinouts.

Resistance should be between 2k to 3.5k ohms.

If values are correct, reconnect J16 and proceed to step 7

7. Plug in washer or reconnect power.

8. With a voltmeter set to AC, connect the black probe to J16-2 (N) and red probe to J16-1 (L1). Activate shifter motor by switching between Spin and Agitate modes. Energize outputs using Manual Test Mode. MANUAL TEST MODE is on page 5-9 in the repair manual.

IMPORTANT: Lid must be closed with Lid Lock enabled to run the SPIN and AGITATE tests.

NOTE: It will take between 4-15 seconds for the shifter to change states.

If 120 VAC is present, go to step 9.

If 120 VAC is NOT present, go to step 17.

17. Replace main control.
a. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
b. Replace the main control.
c. Reassemble all parts and panels.
d. Plug in washer or reconnect power. Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here:
Shift Actuator W10006355 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Access/replacement Video included in the part link.

Jake

Vpolitano

Premium Member
Ok, sorry for the delay in getting back to this post, was busy with some other things. But wanted to let you all know the Main Control Board fixed the problem.

As soon as i replaced the main board I was able to run the calibration test, and the machine runs loads with no issues.

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the main control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.