• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Cabrio WTW6400SW3 F54 Error also makes a loud noise

nbroyer

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW6400SW3
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I'm trying to fix a problem with my WTW6400SW3 Cabrio washing machine. During the spin cycle, it starts spinning very fast, makes a loud noise, and throws the F54 error code. I can replicate this in the manual diagnostic mode. It will spin fine on the lowest speed, but when I bump it up to the second speed, it makes the noise and throws the error.

I understand the F54 error code to be a high current detection. Following the steps in "Test #3 Motor Circuit" I found in a service tech sheet online, I found that all of the connections between the main board and the motor, RPS, etc are fine. In this case, the test suggests to replace the RPS module. I did this but, unfortunately, I am still having the same problem.

I did remove the tub and found a wash cloth, sock, and some change. None of this was preventing the tub from spinning freely. After removing these items, I am still having the same problem.

Could the bearings be going, causing the tub to hit the side of the washer at high spin speeds?

At this point I'm not sure what to do next. I don't want to throw a lot of money at this problem and have it continue. I think it may be the main board that needs to be replaced, but that's over $200 and I'm hesitant to try that without knowing for sure. We paid that amount for the washer and dryer set used 4 years ago.

Thank you,
Nathan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

nbroyer

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply, Jake! I will purchase the bearing kit and report back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Nathan, sounds good!

Jake

nbroyer

Premium Member
I installed the new bearing kit, but unfortunately it did not fix my problem. The old bearings did seem like they were on the way out, I just don't think that was my problem, yet. It actually seems worse now. I can spin the tub by hand and feel a little drag at a certain point once I get it going fast enough. I took the rotor off and then spun the tub by hand again and it spun freely. I did find some hairline cracks starting in the stator so I will replace that next.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd, I'd double check to make sure you installed the bearing kit properly, that's the only thing I think that would seem to make it worse after you replaced the bearings.

Did you watch the video that shows you how to replace the bearings? When you click the bearing and tub seal kit part link I posted above, you will see the video there on how to install that kit.:)

Jake

nbroyer

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I did watch many videos on how to replace the bearings and I believe I did it correctly. The basket spun fine when I removed the motor so that led me to believe something was wrong with the motor.

I purchased a motor stator and installed it:
WPW10419333

When I spun the basket it would go most of the way around and then seem to drag at one spot. If I spun it faster, it would drag more and more. I couldn't think of anything else that I could try, so I said what do I have to lose, and plugged it in and ran the manual diagnostic test again.

It actually runs great at all spin speeds and never gave me the F54 error! Then I hooked it all back up to the water and drain and ran a short cycle and that worked as well. It's definitely much quieter than before. My guess is the motor was actually fine but my bearings were bad. I think the dragging I was feeling when spinning the tub by hand was a magnetic field being created by the motor. I have a load of wash running now, fingers crossed!

Thanks for your advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, glad to hear your back in business.:)

Jake