Whirlpool cabrio WTW8500DC Tub Banging off the sides

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW8500DC
Brand
Whirlpool
My washer works fine besides when it goes to spin after the wash and at the final spin. It acts like an off balance load and starts banging off the sides of the washer as soon as the spin speed accelerates. We have replaced the suspension rods already and have no idea what the issue can be. Other than that, every other function works fine. Please help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Does it do this with an empty tub? Does it do this on small medium and large loads or only one?

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
If I keep moving the clothes around it will eventually spin but still be moving around all loose. I can see a difference in the movement of the drum even when it's agitating. It's definitely very loose.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, is the machine on wood or cement? Screw all the legs in as far as they will go (don't worry about the machine being perfectly level). If there's any wobble, just screw out the leg that makes it stable. Run a small load with an empty machine and confirm the wash plate is moving.

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
There is a drip pan under the washer. I have all the legs of the washer extended all the way out because if I don't the bottom of the washer will grind on the grooves of the drip pan. I will try removing the drip pan and doing what you just said tomorrow morning.

rickgburton

Staff member
Washers will vibrate/shake more on a wood floor. Is this something that just started ?

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
Yes. Do you have an email I can send you a video of what it's doing. Or Facebook or something

- - - Updated - - -

It's been in the same spot and just started this one day.

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
I just tried an empty load. It didn't bang off the sides, but it still spins sloppy. I also noticed that the spin speed isn't as fast as it used to be.

- - - Updated - - -

When I have clothes in it, even a small load, it will bang off the sides so forcefully that the metal is denying out.

- - - Updated - - -

Denting*

rickgburton

Staff member
To post a video, upload it to Youtube and make a youtube video. Copy the video URL. Then click on the film strip on the toolbar. Paste the URL in the field and select upload video. I've seen this problem before when washing a small load. Especially when washing only one or two items. Try it on a full size load and see if it still bangs.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I watched the video several times. It looks like the inner tub starts to go off balance before the entire assembly starts banging. Remove the wash plate and check the spanner nut is tight and holding the inner tub. Check for any clothes or lint build up caught on the side of the inner tub. Did you replace the suspension rods with new and all the parts that came with it? Recheck the rods and make sure they're still secure.

rickgburton

Staff member
Disconnect recirculation hose from tub ring. Remove 6 tub ring clips.
WTW8500-1.jpg

Lift-up the left-rear suspension rod and disconnect it from the rear brace. This will allow more room to access the two clips located on both sides of the bleach well. Remove tub ring from washer.
WTW8500-2.jpg

Insert the blade from a small screwdriver into the slot in the impeller cap, then pry the cap up and remove it.
WTW8500-3.jpg

Remove the 7/16” hex-head bolt from the impeller, then lift and remove the impeller from the basket.
WTW8500-4.jpg

Last edited:

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
The washplate won't remove. It seems to be stuck. Removed the cap and bolt. This is a replacement washplate, we replaced it last year because it was stripped.

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
Got the washplate off. There was mud, sand and lint underneath. Washed it up, putting it back together now and will do a test run and update here after.

LKiblin2012

Premium Member
I took the washer apart. Cleaned out the lint and debris... moved it to a level surface and did a test load. It is still having the same issues. I'm wondering if the suspension rod parts I bought were defective and that's still the issue? They are all secure. Unfortunately, at this time I don't have the money to replace those parts again. I keep hoping this is just an easy fix. You guys helped me repair this washer the last time (replaced washer plate and bolt) and helped me repair my stove.