Whirlpool direct drive spinning problem(Gearcase Replacement)

jd858us

Premium Member
Model Number
GSQ9631LW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a 6 year old Whirlpool washer model #GSQ9631LW0. As soon as the the spin cycle starts, it makes a loud rhythmic banging noise that is constant in speed (about 190 times a minute) throughout the entire cycle. The tub spins normally. There are also some powdery black filings on the floor near the rear of the washer which appear to respond to a magnet. The motor coupling was replaced a couple of months ago.

Aside from the timer sticking on the regular rinse cycle, the washer is more or less satisfactory, so I'm willing to sink some money into fixing it myself but only if it completely solves the problem. My question is how to narrow it down. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your gearcase is bad, here's another member with a similar thread: FIXED Whirlpool LSQ9659LW0 Noise on Spin

Yours uses the same gearcase that I posted in that thread.

Transmission 3360629

Video included in part link.

If your washer is under 5 yrs. old, You have a gearcase warranty from Whirlpool for just the part, not labor to have it installed.

Jake

jd858us

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick diagnosis, doc! No second opinion needed, I assume. No such luck on the warranty, though ; purchased in Nov '02. Are there other less expensive parts worth changing too while the thing is all apart?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always change the basket drive and clutch on all the ones I do as they all work together and both have worn as much as the gearcase over the 6 yrs. as well.

Now buying these 2 other parts can be expensive, so its better if you weigh the cost of the parts versus a new washer.:)

Here is the basket drive for your model, in case you decide to order it: Basket Drive 285792 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here is your clutch assembly in case you decide to order it: Clutch 285785 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

leoramos97035@aol.com

Premium Member
same problem, degree of difficulty

after a life of work i just retired and actually like the thought of trying to fix something as exotic as my wife's banging washer.

question, degree of difficulty for a guy who like to tinker, has the time and space?. can you estimate the time of repair? (wife wants to plan) i added up parts at about $350 which is a whole lot less that than $1100. thanks a lot!
leo

leoramos97035@aol.com

Premium Member
critical oversite noted after reviewing photos. i have the front loading duet washer so already the photos on how to access are not for my application. any ideas on disassembly for the inexperienced?.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but I would need the model# of your washer first. Its located inside the door.

Jake

leoramos97035@aol.com

Premium Member
Whirlpool duet washer front loader

Thanks for the offer to help. The model is GHW9200LQ, ser#csm0907138. Do you reccomend the same repair and pArts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, the one in the first post of this thread is a top load washer, yours is front load.

Its possibly one of the shocks on your model that may be broken.

To get access to the shocks remove the front access panel below the door:
You first remove the 3 bottom torx screws(all the way at the bottom next to the floor) then Remove the toe panel by lifting slightly and pulling forward.

Here's the shock absorber for your model:
Whirlpool WP8182703 Shock Absorber - AppliancePartsPros.com

Watch this video:

[video=youtube;wH8NkplXv4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8NkplXv4I[/video]

Jake