• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool direct drive washer - noise while agitating

wadetrane

Premium Member
Model Number
LSC8244DQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Everyone,

I am having a few problems with a Whirlpool direct drive washer model LSC8244DQ0.

- First off, the washer starts and fills ok, but the agitator seems quite loose on the top and makes a strange noise while agitating.

- Second, the tub will not spin during the spin cycle and there is a burning smell coming from it after it drains.

- Third, the tub is stained a brownish color, from what I was told was hard water, but I'm not sure and I want to remove the stains.

How do I troubleshoot these problems and fix them?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

For the 1st issue you will need a new agitator repair kit.

Here's the agitator repair kit for your model you can order - Video Included:
Whirlpool 285811 Medium Cam Agitator Repair Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

For the 2nd issue, its possibly your motor coupling, that has a rubber piece that can wear and make it smell burning and not spin.

I'd first check your motor coupling.

Here's the motor coupling for your model you can order here if needed - Video Included:
Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com

For the 3rd issue, the brownish color means you have too much iron in your water you will need to order this product:

Removes built-up soap scum and discoloration due to iron and other water impurities. Also works great in washing machines, porcelain sinks and porcelain tubs. 3 ounce packet.
Dishwasher Cleaner 5304482929 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

wadetrane

Premium Member
Interesting developments in spin problem

Hi Jake and all,

So, I was testing the washer last night and when the spin cycle hit, I started pushing hard on the drum clockwise. It took a while, but the spin cycle finally started and then took off! :)

I ran a few test loads after that and it "appears" to be working now. This washer was sitting around for a month or so in a garage, so I guess it's possible that the brake was stuck or something else was held up internally. What do you think the issue was?

Also, is it possible that other any damage was caused before I released this issue (burning smell, etc)? I ran about four loads with the previous problem. What else should I check for when I open it up? I want to do a solid overall check on this thing.

Since this washer is going to be put in a tight space, I want to make sure it is really ready to go before final install...

Thanks,
Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff, that indicates the clutch is wearing out.

Now since it was sitting for awhile and you manually turned the tub while it was trying to spin, have you done a few loads now to see if it will start spinning on its own every time? If you notice it doesn't then you'd need to order a new clutch.

Here is your clutch assembly you can order - Video Included:
Clutch 285785 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you replace the clutch, while you have it that far apart already, pull the spin tube out and apply some grease around the top and bottom of it then reinstall it.