• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Dishwasher DU960PWKS1 hard to find parts, not always draining and sanitized light blinking at end

joea

Premium Member
Model Number
DU960PWKS1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool DU960PWKS1 I' not able to find some rubber parts for. The issues were not always draining and sanitized light blinking at end.

Took apart the drain/wash thingy and found lots of gunk on the screen, looked like old wet newspaper. One rusted screw and assorted other gunk. Always wondered where that screw went. Anyway, was going to order a drain/wash impeller kit from appliancepartspros along with a ball check that disappeared I guess when the seal managed to pop out. One of the screws holding it was pretty loose.

I managed to stuff it back into the slot for it, but not confident it will allow the two halves to button up properly once I replace the ball check and just lose it again. That is one that is on "back order" Those would be parts 4 (inlet base seal) (WP302710) and 5 (WP302709) on the pump motor breakout. The other "Back order" is item 22 drain cover seal (WP302704). That one just looks :not great"

The back orders are one problem, but I presume they will deliver in the time specified. But it does say "normally"

The big worry is that item 8 "seal"(8535658) is not available. Anywhere it seems. I noticed it is a bit gummy and has an circular indentation in it so I am skeptical it will seal. Thought of turning it over and dabbing some silicone seal or RTV on it and calling it good.

Any thoughts on how to salvage my old reliable?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it will be difficult to locate some parts on this old dishwasher.

Here's the parts diagram:
#24 is the drain impeller, check that for cracks and breakage too for the drain issue.

Jake

joea

Premium Member
While I contemplate just buying a new dishwasher, I find the comments left by buyers to be disconcerting. While I don't expect zero failures, seems most all brands, except maybe Kitchenaid have a lot of negative comments. Anything in the 5-600 dollar range seems problematic. Even over that, not what I'd expect.

Any reliable place to look for ratings?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Don't go by ratings.

As techs here we all agree Maytag is the best dishwasher with the least problems.

I have a Maytag dishwasher in my kitchen now, and for no problems at all for 7 years so far.

Jake

joea

Premium Member
I've seen the (old) commercials, but never had one. I may strongly consider one.

Do you know of any sealers. silicone, RTV that is "dishwasher safe" and long lasting? No to hold anyone to account, should things not work,
but I could sink under $200 into repairs, seals, a ball check, impeller kit and drain check valve should do it. I also have a new heater on hand that I ordered my mistake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you know of any sealers. silicone, RTV that is "dishwasher safe" and long lasting?
No, I sure don't.

Jake

joea

Premium Member
Put it back together replacing the missing ball, check valve (even tho it seemed OK), the heater and the only seal (the flat white one) that I could buy.

I checked with DAP and used their "All purpose" silicone sealer/adhesive to coat the three seals I could not obtain.
Comes in a small tube for around $8. Left it overnight.

Thankfully, it worked fine. Only a couple of loads through it but so far so good. It seems to complete the cycle in less time than it had been.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, so far so good, lets hope it keeps rolling along without any problems for the next few years.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

joea

Premium Member
Looks like the "Fixed" tag was premature. Must be an admin thing as I don't see a way to change it.

Sadly, the third load ended with the sanitized light blinking and water, clean, in the bottom of the tub. "Cancel/drain" worked to drain it. I had set it last evening on 2 hour delay and this morning the water still felt a bit warm when I opened the door. The small load appeared clean at first glance.

I did not replace the thermistor and was thinking of doing that. The item with the o-ring seal that actually touches water, not the high limit, which I already replaced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I UNFIXED IT. LOL

I'd check your check valve for a clog.

Its easy to get to, just remove your lower access panel below your door, than unclamp your drain hose off from it, then get some pliers and unscrew it from the pump/motor assembly.

There should be just a black rubber flapper inside that check valve, push something through it, like a pen, it should go through. Also flush it with water from your sink.

Here's the check valve for your model:
Check Valve 675238

Here's the video that shows you how to remove and replace it:

If that's fine, then remove the drain hose from under the sink and get bucket or container and put the drain hose in it and start a drain cycle and watch how fast the water comes out, should come out with lots of pressure.

Jake

joea

Premium Member
I put in a new one as part of the "repair". If I press Cancel/drain, it drains no problem. Also, upon further examination, the top rack stuff did not get clean. I'll run another load through and see what happens.

Last edited:

joea

Premium Member
Well, too bad, so sad.

Seems back to the same or similar game. It appears to be an intermittent problem.

All appeared to be well, but then the sanitized light would blink at the apparent end of cycle, but, water would be in the tub and sometimes the gel pack of detergent would not be dissolved . Cancel/drain worked to empty the tub.

What happens is, in Normal wash, sanitized rinse, it fills, and the wash light comes on. After a bit, steam/vapor comes from the vent and the wash, sensing and heat water lights are on. After a bit sensing and heat water go out, wash stays on. At no time does the motor seem to come on to actually spray water around. I did occasionally think I heard a light buzz or whine for a couple of seconds, but then no sound at all.

After another little while, the wash light goes out and rinse comes on. Still no change in sound level. Which is no sound at all. At that point I opened the door, there was more or less clean water in the tub and no sign of the pod.

I was not there all the time watching it, not that patient, so cannot be sure it did not drain and refill with rise water.

Pressed Drain/cancel and the light came on, but nothing happened. After the light went out, I opened the door, to let it cool off and tried again. This time it worked and drained properly. No idea if there is a lockout for temperature.

At this point, I am guessing it is the control board, or maybe the switch panel? At this point, given the supply situation for new worthwhile units, I would rather put a little more money into this one than play lotto on a new one.

New circuit boards are probably impossible to find, what about these "refurbished" ones on ebay and such?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it does sound like a control board problem.

Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board WP8530929

I would not recommend refurbished or used control boards.

It would be more wise to save the repair money for the control board for a new dishwasher. We recommend Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Supply issues are not a problem here in my area, if they are in your area, you'd need to check more stores Lowes, Home depot, Best Buy, your local appliance stores, don't forget Sears Hometown does still sell Major Appliances.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, basically the same, but Part Number WP8530929 replaces 8530929, 3379317, 3379317R, 3384563, 3384563R, 8528806, 8530928, 8530929R, 9744031, 9744031R, 9744483, PS11746115.

Jake