• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Dishwasher WDF520PADM3 Replaced broken drain pump, but still won't drain.

thorotaxi

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF520PADM3
Brand
Whirlpool
My mom's Whirlpool dishwasher wasn't draining. The drain phase of the cycle wasn't making any sound. I removed the drain pump and found a broken piece of glass in the impeller area. Two adjacent blades were also broken off the impeller. I put the pump back in and tried draining. It made draining sounds now, but still wasn't draining. I replaced the pump and tried again... still not draining. If I remove the hose and drain into a pan, it drains fine. Blowing through the hose to the drain doesn't reveal any blockage... I can blow the water through the hose without much resistance.

I will say that there is a *lot* of that crinkle hose. It goes from the drain in a big loop up the side of the dishwasher and back down before heading over to the sink. There's probably 6 extra feet or more.

Can the pathway and amount of the drain hose be too much for the drain pump to overcome the gravity? Then again, the dishwasher drained successfully before, so I'm not sure. I don't know much about how the drainage works... Is there some sort of siphoning effect that can be disrupted even if the hose isn't blocked?

Help! (Please.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On this model there is a backflow check valve in the elbow of the drain hose, if that is clogged it will drain intermittently or never drain properly period.

Here's our main thread on it:

That thread shows the black elbow which has the backflow check valve in it. Check it for clogs.

Kathryn and Tom found it clogged up, post #26 and post #27 and post #29.

Here's that drain hose with the elbow in it that contains the backflow check valve:
WPW10545278 Drain Hose

Let us know what you find.

Jake

thorotaxi

Premium Member
Thank you!

The hose still has the check valve intact and does not appear to be clogged. I can blow thought the elbow and move the water out into the drain fairly easily. Blowing back the other way successfully closes the valve.

Out of curiosity, how obvious is a clog if you're blowing air/water through a drain hose? It certainly doesn't *seem* clogged, but knot sure what a partial clog would feel like.

thorotaxi

Premium Member
Hi Jake.

I'm reading that thread more carefully and realizing that even some very subtle gunk (e.g., grape stems) on that valve might have a profound effect. That's reason enough for me to pull that elbow off again and check it more thoroughly. I'll try that and report back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm reading that thread more carefully and realizing that even some very subtle gunk (e.g., grape stems) on that valve might have a profound effect. That's reason enough for me to pull that elbow off again and check it more thoroughly. I'll try that and report back.
Yes, I agree.:)

Jake