• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Dishwasher WDF520PADM7 All kinds of problems

gtmitc

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF520PADM7
Brand
Whirlpool
The water won’t get hot, so I changed the heating element. Still no hot water.

And I have the added problem of a major leaky door now. The dishwasher is level, no crack in the top or bottom arm, the gasket looks good, the water isn’t getting over the element. But there is a steady stream of water coming out both bottom corners after running for about 30 seconds. It’s leaking from the door, not underneath the unit.

And the water is still cold.

Any advice for either problem?

dashriprok

Appliance Tech
It's common on Whirlpool dishwashers for the electronic control board to either go partially bad ~ won't turn on the heater, or at least go into a mode where it won't heat. Find the W10849767 tech sheet for your dishwasher and put dishwasher in service mode. Doing that will reset the electronic control board. If it still doesn't heat then you'll have to replace the board. As an appliance serviceman, I replace lots of boards on Whirlpool/KitchenAid dishwashers but not very many heating elements.

Is your door seal intact and in it's groove?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
@dashriprok is correct. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that, and report back if its working good again.:)

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10849767 - Rev A.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 48

gtmitc

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I ran the diagnostic cycle, then ran a cycle and it started getting hot. I didn’t run the cycle all the way they because so much water was leaking out, but I would assume that problem is solved if the element was getting hot.

I put bath towels under each corner and within 15 minutes they were half soaked. The door seal looks fine to me. No chinks or gashes, it’s seated in its groove.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear the heating element is working after you ran the complete diagnostic cycle.(y)

Now its time to pinpoint exactly where its leaking from, if the door seal is in properly then that should be fine.

Some members have had issues with the lower spray arm being cracked or not locked into place properly, and that would make it leak from the door, I'd check that next.

Here's the lower wash arm for your model:
Lower Wash Arm WPW10319027

Here's the video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Lower Wash Arm Video

Jake

gtmitc

Premium Member
I’ve taken both the spray arms out just wishing I could find a crack. There isn’t anything wrong with them. And I’m locking them back when they go back in.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'm puzzled too, I don't know what else would be the cause.

Its best to contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 to come out and see whats going on.

Jake

gtmitc

Premium Member
Ran a 1- hour cycle last night and not a drip of water leaked. Ran one tonight and it looks like a lake in front of the dishwasher.

gtmitc

Premium Member
This doesn’t make any sense, other than this is the second whirlpool washer I’ve had in this house since we bought it new 9 years ago, and I don’t think I’ll have another.

gtmitc

Premium Member
it’ll run 3-4 times without leaking, then the 5th time water just streams out of the front. Nothing in between the door and the frame wedging the seal open or anything like that. Makes zero sense.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wish I could help, but hopefully another tech. that's seen this happen can assist you.

Jake

gtmitc

Premium Member
I’m trying to avoid having a technician come. Honestly, I think all just about any has done is charge me $100 to tell me it would be cheaper to trash it and get a new one. That’s what happened with my last whirlpool dishwasher and my last whirlpool oven.

Can I ask you about the spray arm? I’ve taken it out probably a dozen times looking for anything and I just don’t see a crack of any sort. Where do they usually crack? And how does a crack in the spray arm inside the unit make the sealed door leak?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can I ask you about the spray arm? I’ve taken it out probably a dozen times looking for anything and I just don’t see a crack of any sort. Where do they usually crack? And how does a crack in the spray arm inside the unit make the sealed door leak?
They crack usually in the side seams in the middle of the spray arm.

Jake