Whirlpool dishwasher WDT720PADM0 ... fills with water ... sits and does nothing

panthar

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT720PADM0
Brand
Whirlpool
THe dishwasher behaves randomly .. some days it will run .. somedays its pissed off ...

It will fill water .. and do nothing ... the complete cycle is for 3.04 hours .. so sometime later it does spin and washes dishes partially ...

once complete I see dishes are partially dirty and soapy ...

at times when its happy .. its fill water and immediately I hear gushing sound of water arm working .. so I know its working and dishes will be OK .... and end they are clean ... - Verified

I tried running in diagnostic mode ... by pressing any buttons in series .. 1-2-3 ... 1-2-3.... 1-2-3 ... after that all lights comes on and it shows some numbers ... I saw some table somewhere ... but I do not know how to read ...
it shows F6 E6 F6 E6 F6 E6 ... F- E- F- E- F7 E1 ... F7 E1 ... F- E- ....
Does any one know complete steps and what to read .... there are too many numbers and combos to read ... from above what do I know which F number to use ...

ANy help ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, after it fills with water do you hear the wash motor come on and start splashing water in the tub? If not, then your wash motor is likely bad, been seeing that a lot myself.

Look at post #7 here:

Check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

--->Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
Pump and motor assembly W11032770

I had TWO of these exact same wash motors this past Sept. 2018 in my local area which is in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing and both were bad wash motors as well, and the new wash motors fixed them both.:)

Jake

panthar

Premium Member
It comes on sometimes and sometimes it does not ... I would say out of 10 tries to turn on dishwasher .. it wont come on 5 times ... 5 times it comes on ...

Like I try to play with 1 hours / sensor cycle / normal cycles buttons ... randomly each time ... and sometimes when I hear splashing ... I am like whew !!!! atleast one more time it worked .....

before I go to wash motor ... isn't there a way of using diagnostic mode and say what is the actual fault ...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, you will need to use your multimeter to test voltage to it when it should be running.

Jake

panthar

Premium Member
But will volt meter give me consistent reading ? since it does work sometimes ... will I need to take out the motor and then test it ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will get 120 volts to the wash motor, then it will pause, then you will get another 120 volts to it, then it will pause again about 3 more times, then you will get a constant 120 volts to it after the pauses.

No, just pull the dishwasher out enough to get access to that wash motor wire connector.

Jake

panthar

Premium Member
Still the same issue is going on ... I purchased a dish washer cleaner .. ran the cleaning cycle ... washer worked fine for couple of weeks ... now again same issue ... Now I put some baking soda and vinegar when it stops workings ... it does some reaction and cleans something and it works ... I do this every week now .....

So this things seems to work ...

Now new problem ... after dishwasher fills up .. its starts to spin inside and start cleaning ... after that initial clean .. it fills again and sits quitely ... when the dishes dry they are soapy ... because the rinse cycle never started ... so after 1 hour of cycle ... I open the door and close it ... dishwashers wakes up .. I have to do this almost everyday now ... any ideas ?

Do you think the soil sensor it bad ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, it's not the soil sensor that's bad, it's most likely your wash motor that's bad.

Did you do the voltage test on the wash motor I laid out for you above, so we can confirm it?

Jake

Last edited:

panthar

Premium Member
I see you posted above ... how to check motor ... but can you tell how and when motor pauses ....
Like with in first 1 minute of cycle itself ? or for entire 3 hours cycle ...
"You will get 120 volts to the wash motor, then it will pause, then you will get another 120 volts to it, then it will pause again about 3 more times, then you will get a constant 120 volts to it after the pauses. "

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just keep your meter probes in the wash motor electrical connector, there should be about 4 or 5 pauses at the beginning of the wash cycle, then after that your meter should read a constant 120 volts through the rest of the wash cycle.

Jake

panthar

Premium Member
ok understood ... but my question is my dish washer does not behave like this in every cycle ... like 1 cycle out of 10 washes it dies and misses .. so how to check that ... I thought there would be some weak coils or something when checked with volt meter it would give me some confirmation ... no ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not understanding what you mean.

Just order and replace the wash motor and you should be back in business.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, that's fine if you don't mind going back to the golden olden days of washing dishes and silverware by hand.😂

Jake