• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Dishwasher WDT720PADM2 Melted Sprayer

braveswin11

Model Number
WDT720PADM2
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Whirlpool WDT720PADM2 was not cleaning dishes well or drying. We replaced the heating element yesterday and it didn't clean dishes well again. My mom ran it again, and noticed a burning smell. I opened the dishwasher and noticed the new heating element was glowing orange and had melted the plastic sprayer arm.

My questions are whether the heating element should be glowing orange? How did the sprayer melt, did we place the heating element so it contacted the sprayer or something?

Wondering if we should buy a new dishwasher or just get a new sprayer arm and hope it doesn't melt again. One thing is we bought like a $25 non-OEM heating element that did have the threads not match the old one, but it still looked the same (#W10518394).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the lower spray arm for your model:
WPW10491331 Arm-Spray

No, the heating element should not be glowing orange, we always recommend OEM parts, sounds like that non-OEM may be shorted to ground making it glow orange.

Disconnect power to the dishwasher and ohm test the heating element and high-limit thermostat separately. You will have to pull the dishwasher out at least halfway to get to the back heating element terminals. Make sure you have enough slack in your electrical and water supply line and drain hose to pull the dishwasher out first.

Also ohm test the non-OEM heating element terminals to your chassis ground, you should show NO continuity when you do that.

Here's the OEM heating element for your model:
Heating Element W10518394

Watch this video to ohm test the heating element:

Watch this video to replace the heating element or to access the element terminals which are all the way in the back.

Also ohm test the high limit thermostat:
High Limit Thermostat WP661566

Watch this video, it shows you how to access/replace it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake