• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool double oven dead display, but want to confirm control power transformer ok first, Whirlpool RBD305PRS00

steveg_nh

Premium Member
Coming back to this. I'm not ready to give up. :) I sent the control out for repair again (it was repaired 2.5 years ago). I sent it to a difference company due to timing and backlog, etc. Anyway, they said the board is not repairable, which I thought was odd. They said it tested ok, and had power where it should, but the display "appeared" to be bad, and they could not locate a new one. Appeared didn't sound very confident. Anyway, they charge me a $40 diag fee and sent it back to me. I could send it to another repair service, but given they said it tested ok, I wondered about the problem being something in the oven itself, although unlikely.

I cleaned the ribbon cable with contact cleaner, tested the capacitors (one was very jumpy, wondering if it's bad), and resistors. All seemed largely ok. I also check for cold solder joints and hit some suspect spots. I put it back in and when I turned the power on, I did NOT get the usual beep I get when the display doesn't turn on. Because the display was lit and the oven worked. For about 20 seconds. Then the display faded to black and I was back where I started, with the short beep, long beep, then 3 short beeps and no life except oven light. Although the oven did turn on with no display lit, and ran for about a minute before it turned itself off. It was warming.

I did check the control board thermal fuse, which tested closed ok, and I tested (at the control panel) the heating main over thermal fuse, and that tested ok as well. Does any of this point to a cause? I'm not convinced the display is bad or the control board can't be repaired. I did find online, for $30, Whirlpool repair kits which I assume contain new caps, resistors and possibly the transistors for the board. Worth a shot, but still doing the homework to see if I can solve this myself. I don't think I want to send the board out again for another $150-200.