• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Dryer GEW9878PW1 Keeps cutting off

repair_newbie

Premium Member
Model Number
GEW9878PW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Symptoms:
On any heat setting, the dryer will run for anywhere from 5 seconds to 2-3 minutes, and shuts itself off. On Air-only, it works properly and doesnt shut off early. I thought perhaps it could be a fuse that is half-way burned or something and acting up, so i bypassed the fuse temporarily, but didnt help. Instead of having a standard thermostat, this "smarter" model has the thermistor (WP8577274). I tested resistance, and its almost exactly to spec. Believe it or not, this mechanical looking dryer even has a diagnostic mode (seriously?) and i ran it and everything passed. Including the moisture test. It beeps when you touch the moisture sensor with something wet, lol...

Why did Whirlpool change a good thing and try to re-invent the wheel? So this is a weird dryer, its one of the old Whirlpool Gold Senseon models, I think supposed to be energy saving, but it looks exactly like the old mechanical whirlpool models, but they decided to add a circuit board to it. It also has the expensive 3-prong heating element instead of the normal 2-prong thats in almost every other whirlpool.

I think the control board is almost definitely bad (WPW10116566), but I figured I'd post a question here to see if anyone has an idea...

Attachments

• Senseon.png
    Senseon.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you try it on TIMED DRY and see if it stays running?

If so, I always advise my customers to try to clean the moisture sensor bars with rubbing alcohol and see if that makes a difference.

The sensor bars can get a build-up of fabric softener film from the dryer sheets, like Bounce, and cause this problem as well.:) Lots of members here have said the rubbing alcohol cleaning fixed their dryers.

If that still does not fix it, then yes, its most likely the control board.

Unfortunately, the control board is No Longer Available:

Jake