• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool dryer inconsistant heating

Grogel

Premium Member
Model Number
LG7681XSW1
Brand
Whirlpool
My thermal fuse went out so I cleaned the duct (only 7 feet from dryer to out doors) and replaced the fuse. It worked for one load then over heated the fuse again.

I bypassed the fuse for test purposes and poked a hole in the vent tube 6" above the dryer outlet to insert a temp probe. I ran it three times this way with different results each time.

The firs time was with one wet towel inside. The machine ran and heated but slowly(4 to 6 min running) climbed up to 170F then quit heating all together. I shut it off and washed a medium load of clothes to use for further testing.

Second time testing was with the dryer cooled (while clothes washed) and the medium load of damp clothes inside. The dryer heated up to 130 the cycled between 130 and 120 for 5 minutes, then it quit heating. At this point with the machine still running, I checked and the igniter was glowing every so often, but no gas.

After letting the dryer cool for 30 min ran it once more, this time it heated continuously slowly climbing up to 150 where it stopped heating and went into cycling the igniter with no flame lighting.

Im using the parts breakdown on the link below but my dryer is different. Item 9 on the drawing is listed as "Adjustable Dryer Cycling Thermostat" but on my dryer the thermostat in that position looks like item 15, the "Hi-Limit Thermostat". Which ever it is, I checked it with a Ohm meter and it is a closed circuit with no resistance.

mounted under it is item 23, Thermostat, I have not checked it yet (I just found it on the drawing and dont know how it should read on the ohm meter)

I can not find item 15 in the drawing on my dryer, there is nothing with wires mounted on the Box(item 14 in the drawing).

Bulkhead parts for Whirlpool LG7681XSW1

With it heating to different temps before it stops burning, im unsure what to do next. Can the Coils be checked with an ohm meter? If so , what should the read.

WHooHoo this is fun!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like your gas coils that are shot.

Here's the gas coils for your model you can order - Video Included:
Whirlpool 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Check across terminals #1 and #3
(Booster Coil) 550 ohms
Check across terminals #1 and #2
(Holding Coil) 1350 ohms
Check across terminals #2 and #3
(Both coils in series) 1900 ohms
Check across terminals #4 and #5
(Secondary Coil) 1300 ohms

dryergasvalve.jpg

Keep us posted.

Jake

Grogel

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick response Jake. My new thermal fuse is still good(I assumed it had blown again).

#1 and #3 0.548K
#1 and #2 1.336K
#2 and #3 1.887K
#4 and #5 1.249K

Those are all close, what do you think?

The thermostat #23 from the above drawing measured 03.65K.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's #23:
Whirlpool 61894 Thermostat - AppliancePartsPros.com

This thermostat is for the purpose of the automatic cycle. It heats the thermostat to have it shut off sooner for like the cooler temp settings. The resistance should be between 3 and 4K ohms. So its fine.

The readings for your gas coils look fairly good, but they can still physically stick and not keep opening thoughout the cycle.

Its very common for the gas coils to go bad when you first get a flame/heat when you first start the dryer, then nothing after that.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Grogel

Premium Member
Jake, replaced the coils and Im on my third load with no more problems. Set on high heat and the probe in the exhaust, it cycles between 173F and 129F. I thank you for your help. I droped a ten spot in the tip jar on my way out ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, glad your back in business.:)

I droped a ten spot in the tip jar on my way out
Thanks, all donations go to the server cost of running our website here as its expensive, because we run on a dedicated server so our website is always fast and not slow/sluggish.

Jake