• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool dryer model WED6400SW1 stays on sensing and won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzard3366

Premium Member
Model Number
WED6400SW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, out of no where my Whirlpool Cabrio dryer just wont start. I've tried unplugging it and checking breakers but nothing seems to be wrong. When turned on it just stays in the sensing mode and never turns on to start drying. Help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Disconnect power to your dryer and check the thermal fuse for continuity:

rickgburton

Staff member
If the thermal fuse ohm tests good for continuity, then check for 120 VAC across P9-2 (BLK) and P8-3 (WHT) on the electronic control board.

If the voltage is correct, here's the part you need:

rickgburton

Staff member
You'll need a DMM that can measure VAC. Access the main board behind the console. Connectors are marked on the board:
L-WED94 control.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
If I have to answer the same question twice, it wastes my time. If another tech answers you, it wastes his time if someone is already helping you. You have no idea how much that pisses us off.

Lizzard3366

Premium Member
If I have to answer the same question twice, it wastes my time. If another tech answers you, it wastes his time if someone is already helping you. You have no idea how much that pisses us off.
I apologize. I really wasn't trying to be rude. I will never do that again. I'm sorry.

I did what you said about checking the main board and both were just 0.00. I also checked the thermal fuse for continuity like you said and nothing. So I'm assuming all I need is a new theral fuse?

rickgburton

Staff member
It's all good. The thermal fuse is most likely the problem. For testing purposes only, take the two wires off the thermal fuse and short them together then see if the dryer will start. Don't leave the thermal fuse bypassed. I don't think you're checking the voltage correctly. Leave the connectors connected. You put one meter lead on P9-2 (black wire) and the other lead on P8-3 (white wire) That's supply voltage for the machine. If your meter leads are too big do this:
safety pin 500x250.jpg

Lizzard3366

Premium Member
The thermal fuse it was!!! I bought a new one and my dryer works again!!!! Thank you SOOO MUCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.