Whirlpool Dryer Randomly Shuts Off!!

maslearsi24

Premium Member
Model Number
WED9150WW1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a very frustrating intermittent electrical problem with my Whirlpool Electric Dryer model#:WED9150WW1. Every now and then then dryer shuts off in the middle of running and will not start again for a couple of days. All the lights on the control board are fine when the power button is pressed, but when I press the start button everything shuts off. Also, the drum lamp inside the machine dimly flickers when it is supposed to be fully on. The electricity in the house is fine. An electrician came and replaced the outlet and checked the circuit breaker and gave it the OK. However, when the voltage is measured inside the dryer it is different than the voltage measured at the outlet- 109 and 137 Volts instead of 120 and 120, across each hot wire and ground. Furthermore, when the voltage across each hot wire is measured with a different ground from a different outlet the voltage is fine, (120V across both) so something funny is happening to the ground in the machine. This problem only occurs intermittently after the dryer has been used for an hour or two. The dryer is less than a year old. This problem is very strange and nobody can give me straight answer. The appliance technicians say it's the house electricity that's the problem and the electrician says it's the machine? What is going on? I also have a video of this if needed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I say its the electrical , its either your 240 wall outlet or the breaker.

Did the electrician remove the 240 outlet and check for wiring issues?

Jake

maslearsi24

Premium Member
The electrician checked the wall outlet and the breaker and both are fine. He even replaced the wall outlet just to be sure. The voltage is good when the dryer is not plugged in- 120V across each hot wire and ground.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I really don't know, but since its still under warranty Whirlpool has to fix the issue or you will get a new dryer. Call Whirlpool back and ask for the lead tech. to come out.

Jake