Whirlpool Duet Dryer WED8300SB1 Won't Start

Chyve

Premium Member
Model Number
WED8300SB1
Brand
Whirlpool
My dryer won't start. The thermal fuse checks out OK. The door switch checks out OK. So, believing it was the board (which I've had to resolder the relays several times over the years), I got a new control board and installed it today. Still won't start. The relays on the board click, but the dang thing will not start.

Only other thought I have is to check to see if the motor has failed, but I'm not sure how to test that, and I'd rather not pull it that far apart if I don't have to.

Appreciate any advice y'all can offer. I really can't afford a new dryer right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Recheck the thermal fuse. If the thermal fuse checks good use this diagram to make the following voltage measurements on the board:
Elec contrl.jpg

P9-2 - P8-3 = 120 VAC constant

P9-2 - P8-4 = 120 VAC with door closed

P9-1 - P8-3 = 120 VAC when start button is pressed

Chyve

Premium Member
Checked the thermal fuse again and it's now dead. I installed a jumper (switch) for testing voltages. All three check out as you specified, but it still won't start.

Chyve

Premium Member
Turns out it was repairman error. I tore it down to check the belt switch (cleaned and checked the switch while I was in there) and realized I had been checking the thermostat, not the thermal fuse.
Thermal fuse is dead. I jumped the connection. It works. Fuse should arrive in a few days to finish the repair.
Thanks for your help!