• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Duet Dryer YWED72HEDW0 Intermittent Panel Outages

ranchnet

Premium Member
Model Number
YWED72HEDW0
Brand
Whirlpool
The control panel on my dryer appears dead--no lights, no responses. Occasionally, it will come back to life and work fine. Sometimes, resetting the breaker will work, other times it won't. There is power to the unit, and the thermal fuse and thermostat are fine.

Any ideas? I put the age as 6-10 years, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd first check the electrical cable from the control panel to the main control board and make sure it wasn't loose.

Here's the control panel for your model below, when you click the link to it you will see a video on HOW TO access it, once you access it check that electrical cable first to make sure it has a tight connection on both the control panel and main control board.

Control Panel WPW10639903

Jake

ranchnet

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. The dryer worked for the past couple of weeks, but the panel just went dead again.

It does look like the connection is good at both ends. What would the next troubleshooting step be? I'm happy to order a new control panel, but I'd love to know for sure if possible that it's the problem.

Thanks!

-Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your tech data sheet below, look at page 5--->USER INTERFACE TEST

Unsuccessful Activation
If entry into Loads Test mode is unsuccessful, refer to the following indications and actions:
Indication 1: None of the indicators or display turn on.
Action: Select any cycle.
It continues on page 6:
If indicators come on, select one of the “Timed Cycles” (for example, “Timed Dry”). If either the “+” button or “–” button is unable to change the time indication in the Estimated Time Remaining three- or two-digit display, something is faulty with the button, and it will not be possible to enter the Loads Test mode. Replace the user interface and housing assembly. Refer to Dryer Disassembly Instructions, page 24. If the “+” and “–” buttons both work, press the POWER button to turn off the dryer and retry to activate Loads Test mode from step 1 above.
--->If no indicators come on after selecting the cycle, go to TEST #1, CCU Power Check, page 11.
This test is used to determine if power is present at the machine control electronics.
This test assumes that proper voltage is present at the outlet.
1. Unplug dryer or disconnect power.
2. Check for appropriate line voltages at the outlet: 240VAC (electric 2-phase), 208VAC (electric 3-phase), or 120VAC (gas).
---> If line voltage is present, go to step 3.
--->If line voltage is not present, check for tripped circuit breaker or blown household fuse. If CB (circuit breaker) is not tripped, have customer check with qualified electrician.
3. Remove top panel to access the machine electronics.
4. CCU VAC – With voltmeter set to AC, connect black probe to CCU P8-3 (N) and red probe to P9-2 (L1). (See Figure 2.)
Plug in dryer or reconnect power.
--->If 120VAC is present, unplug dryer or disconnect power and go to step 5.
--->If 120VAC is not present, unplug dryer or disconnect power and perform TEST #2: Supply Connections, page 12.

Then on page 11--->Step 5 you can actually check to see if you are getting +5 Volts DC to the User Interface--->With voltmeter set to DC, unplug connector P2 from the CCU and connect black probe to CCU P2-3 (ground) and red probe to P2-1 (+5V DC). Plug in dryer or reconnect power.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10606148 - Rev C.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 7