• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Duet Gas Dryer Model GGW9250PW1 will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveski321

Premium Member
Model Number
GGW9250PW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool Duet Gas Dryer Model GGW9250PW1 (Board model 8546219), over 15 years old, original owner, never any problems or service.

Now, when trying to start, we get “sensing” light on and the dryer will not start.

Tried pressing “More Time/Less Time/More Time/Less Time”, all lights lit up and display says 88. Nothing blinks or flashes and no “F” error codes show up.

Tested Thermal Fuse, zero resistance.

Tested Thermistor, about 11k-ohm at 70F

Tested door switch, good (light works and also tested by measuring Ohms across P1-2 (neutral, white wire) and P1-3 (door, blue wire).

Measured resistance across P1-3 and P1-4 and got exactly 2 ohms. Tech sheet says “If resistance across P1-3 and P1-4 is in the range of 1 to 6 ohms, replace the machine control electronics.” There is no explanation why this measurement requires replacing the board. Also, this board is model 8546219, which is apparently discontinued.

Can you suggest a next step? Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Access the electronic control on the left side under the top panel. Measure the voltage across P1-5 and P1-2 then measure across P1-5 and P1-3 You should have 120 VAC for both measurements.

WP8546219 Control Board

If you are getting 120 volts for both, then check your belt to see if its broken, because you have a broken belt switch that will keep the dryer from starting if the belt is broken.

Here's the broken belt switch for your model:
279782 Broken Belt Switch Kit

There is a video included in the broken belt switch part link to show you how to access it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

steveski321

Premium Member
Thank you. I have visually confirmed that the belt is fine, the tensioner is good, and the belt switch “feels” right, meaning it is up and if I push it down I can feel/hear a click. I have not yet ohm-tested the switch though.

What is the purpose of the voltage checks you describe? I know that I am getting power no problem, do these checks indicate something else? Also, I did not see these checks in the tech sheet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to ohm test that broken belt switch first to make sure it ohms good.

What is the purpose of the voltage checks you describe? I know that I am getting power no problem, do these checks indicate something else? Also, I did not see these checks in the tech sheet.
To see if your getting proper voltage my friend.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can assume so right?

But its best to voltage test.:)

Jake

steveski321

Premium Member
Traced it to a failed relay on the discontinued board. Bought the relay and did a terrible job soldering it in and it works!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Steve, good job.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.