• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool duet GHW9100LW Hold-to-Start button not pressing & clicking

chikoo

Premium Member
Model Number
GHW9100LW
Brand
Whirlpool
So my father in law calls me and tells me that the Whirlpool duet washer is no longer working. I go over and find that the Green "Hold to Start" is no longer pressing/clicking.

Question: Can I replace this button? How can I get to open the panel to remove and replace it? Any guides/walkthrough much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately you can't just replace the start button when this happens, you have to replace the user interface control board.

Here's the user interface control board for your model you can order here:
User Control and Display Board WP8181905

I'm attaching the repair manual pdf for the Whirlpool Duet washer.

Page 4-2 shows you how to remove/replace the control panel touchpad assembly(user interface control board)

Jake

Attachments

chikoo

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

Ouch. $308.90 for a new board on a 8 yr old machine.

Is it worth it or should I just buy a top loader for $499 ???

Arghhhh.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know that user interface board is expensive.

The rule of thumb is if the repair cost equals or exceeds the half the cost of a new washer, then replace the washer.

Jake

chikoo

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I ended up doing a band aid fix using a combination of Super Glue and 3M red tape. Essentially I used the 3m tape to hold the tab to the board(and be flexible), and superglued the Green button to the tab. Let's see how much this holds up!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, usually thats just a temporary fix and will hold up a month or two, but you never know it may go longer.

Keep us posted if it breaks again.

Jake

asxn557

Hey chikoo and Jake. Thanks for the post and the reference to the manual. With your assistance, I was able to open up the front panel and found that the tab holding the start button in place had broken away from the interface control board. The red pin, once pressed, started the washer normally, so it was a matter of getting something to line up to press that button. I used gorilla glue to fix the broken piece to the back of the start button and scotch tape to hold the button in place while putting the front panel back together. The tape didn't work quite as planned, but until the alignment fails, we're good for now. Next time I think I'll actually use a band-aid as it has better adhesive and flexibility. Cheers.

Attachments

T

Tom Dee

Can't I just leave the plastic off and use a lil plastic pin to push red board button we needed? My issue is also the knob lite is off I got pointer at normal and the heavy wash lite is green I get that all lined up push start and nothing it's like it's doing nothing but it clicks kind of don't feel broken