• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Duet Mold problem!

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
I have a 5 year old Whirlpool Duet Model GHW9100LW. I have continually had a moldy smell and even mold on the grey seal near and on the drum. I have tried the bleach, etc. and it goes away for a few weeks and comes back. I use HE detergent and barely any. Will I have to replace the entire seal and drum to start fresh?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No, I don't think so. First you'll have to use some more bleach and hand scrub the gray seal all the way around and in the folds. If you don't get the entire seal clean the mold will return. After that do the same to the tub. Once that is done run a cycle with just 3/4 to 1 cup of bleach only. Once that is complete run another cycle on hot wash and one packet of Washer Magic. I think you can get it here on this web site. If you have a clean cycle on your washer run it once a month. If not then run a cycle with 3/4 cup of bleach once a month. If there are no children around leave the door open slightly after you're done washing.

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
Black is still there and smell is still bad.

I have done the cleaning procedure before and again today. I have used special cleaner that apparently works on the internet and the moldy smell comes back the first time you leave laundry wet inside the washer for more than 1 hour. I never leave wet laundry in for long periods. The grey seal has black areas that just won't scrub off. Will replacing any of these parts help with the smell? I am so tired of my beautiful laundry room smelling all the time not to mention washing my kid's clothes in it. I am even thinking of selling the set and buying a Miele set. I don't know.

P.Nelson

rickgburton

Staff member
Without seeing the black spots, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is most likely mold or mold spores. However, I've never seen mold that didn't come off with bleach or or some other strong cleaner. So I guess I'm not much help. You can replace the boot assembly but I don't know if the smell would go away if you did. The other thing that is puzzling is, mold takes longer than 1 hour to grow. You mentioned if you leave wet clothes in for longer than an hour you get the mold smell. Sounds like somewhere in there is mold that maybe you can't see. Possibly between the tubs.

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
Replace with top loader...any suggestions?

I cannot have mold in my washer. I have researched this problem and it seems that all front loaders have this issue if your not maticulous with drying it out and constantly doing hot water cleaning cycles. This doesn't save money or time. I am going to replace with a top loader. Any suggestions? Obviously I want to stay away from Whirlpool. I read good things about Fisher & Paykel. Let me know what you know...HELP!

rickgburton

Staff member
On the contrary, Whirlpool top load washers are probably one of best, if not the best washers on the market today. I don't see many of the high end washers like LG, Miele, or Fisher and Paykel. They haven't been out long enough and they don't seem to be big sellers. Finding someone to do the service and supply parts seems to be the biggest problem around here. I don't believe Miele even offers laundry products in the U.S. I do know that in Europe, Miele is as common a name as Whirlpool is here. Don't write off Whirlpool Top load washers. They're a whole different machine than the front load washers. If I asked 20 service techs what the best top load washer was, 15 would say Whirlpool.

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
I looked at the Cabrio today...

I looked at top loaders today. Looks like there is whirlpool and FisherP. The WP Cabrio looked a bit too plastic for my home. We are not "hard" on applicances but the top is a bit round too and it by chance anything was put on top of the lid, it would easily scratch or even crack. When I opened the matching dryer it squeeked like it was ready for the junk yard. I was not impressed, although it was the most modern looking of the very few I saw for sale. The salesman said they were going obsolete and not to go that way. I let him have my cold hard facts. The only other option (and my husband would not be happy), I noticed the Miele, and although they have their mold issues too, I saw that the front seal is MUCH smaller and would be much easier to wipe dry. Still a pain for a front loader. The only other good thing the salesman told me was to open the detergent drawer along with the front door for cross ventilation. This seems utterly ridiculous. Is this really the way of the future? It would be great to have some professional insight on this. With all the wonderful appliances they are creating, why is this such an issue? I am just lucky I only had the mold issue as I have read that the newer duets just shake right out of the laundry room, lol. I just remember the good old days (5 years ago) when I had some old contraption (gold as I recall) and all I can recall is it was ugly, but never was there any problems, molds, shaking. Strange how it seems we have gone so backward in this area. Of course, this is my humble opinion. But really, laundry is not a fun job of itself, so loving or even liking a washer/dryer is of signifigant value. Sincerely, and thanks for your replies....any more would be great. P.Nelson

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like Rick was saying in post#2, its best to leave the door open at least a little if you can to keep the mold from forming inside.

I've had my GE front loader a couple of years now, and always leave my door open, and never had any hint or smell of mold at all, I don't even have to wipe dry the boot off after a load.

Jake

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
Can we do it ourself..replace the seal & see if that helps?

I am wondering if my handyman husband could replace the seal, and how much $ that would entail. I have tried vinegar, bleach and other washes. There is still a musky smell in the actual inside. Less, but not great. I have kept the door open and the detergent drawer. I have them for sale, but unless I can get the smell out once and for all, I don't know if I can sell them or feel right about it. There is a few small black marks on the top of the seal that won't come clean and one looks like it may be starting to give a worn tiny mark that eventually may go right through. I hear what your saying, that if I did "all" the right things in the beginning, I may not have had an issue. Unfortunately, it is not widely talked about in the manual or when you buy them. So even two of my friends with new ones don't leave the door open after use and because they are only 1 year old, they don't have a problem (yet). So I let them know. They had no clue. Everyone I know that has a front loader tells me to buy a top loader and they hate their front loader, that the clothes don't come clean, or they hate having to do the cleaner cycles. Any help here in regard to the sealer part, would be helpful, and if you think that would help the smell? I keep thinking that the mold may be in the tubing or in between the stainless tub. But then the "cleaning" cycle should have cleaned this up right? Also I have read that cleaning clothes regularly on warm or cold, with the front loaders is what helps grow mold, because the bacteria never gets a chance to be killed regularly. Another issue. HELP

ivoidwarranties

Appliance Tech
go look up: smellywasher.com . they have a powder that if you follow directions will get the funk out of the washer and can add some to clothes to get the smell out also. used it on a high end bosch front loader that people washed mostly with cold water that became stale. should wash at least once a week using a hot cycle to clean out soap/scum build-up, mildew stains won't come out of rubber door boot- can only replace boot and try to wipe clean everytime to keep mildew stains away and leave door popped open if no more inside light to burn out. Also, the biggest deal with front loaders are that you use NO MORE than 2 tablespoons of soap- less if ultra/concentrated/etc. use HE labled soap. two tablespoons is a small amount- anything more is counter productive to the whole wash experience.

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
I have used smelly washer power...

I have alreadyused smelly washer powder. The smell comes back after a few weeks. I am going to try it again. Does any of you know the part number and how much work is involved in replacing the rubber seal on the door? That is about the only thing I have left to ask.

ivoidwarranties

Appliance Tech
not my brand- i'm sure jake will direct you shortly. do you wash with hot cycles occasionally? it will help some. saw one of my brands with a sanitize setting- not sure what it does but told smelly unit owners to use sanitize setting once a week(these people use cold water most times). never hurts to complain to manufacturer about mildew and stink.

Slowrunner40

Premium Member
Okay, we replaced the rubber seal. The mold is still in the washer. I am assuming it is between the tubs. Is there a way of getting to this area to clean it out? I just hate selling it with a smell issue and I also wish it didn't smell, because other than that, it would be a joy. I just have a really great sense of smell and can smell it all over the laundry room (leaving the door and detergent drawer open is the main reason for that). Any help, would be appreciated especially by redbeardnmt? You seem closest to any resolve?

Mark WJ

In addition to leaving the door open, we also take a couple of aspirin/vitamin bottles and prop the seal open for better airflow