Whirlpool Duet Steam - Burning Plastic Smell and Squeal

Helix1

Premium Member
Model Number
WED9550WW1
Brand
Whirlpool
So I have read several posts regarding burning plastic smell and squealing issues, so I have some ideas about what the problem is but have a slight twist in the situation which makes me unsure about the fixes I read about - the twist is that both symptoms happened at the same time (at least we noticed them at the same time).

1. First, the lesser of the two issues in my mind - I have a odd squeal/rubbing coming from the dryer...I pulled apart the lower front and back panels and the sound seems to come from the belt/wheel area below the drum. My reading of other posts leads me to believe that it is the idler pulley that needs replacing - can you confirm that?

2. Lastly (and the more serious in my mind), There is a burning plastic smell. We can smell it slightly from the outside of the dryer, but when we open the door the smell seems to be much stronger. When I took off the back and front panels, I found a significant layer of dryer lint inside...probably a good 3/4" on the bottom and 1/4" on everything else above the bottom including the element casing - black like it has been smoldering. This surprised me b/c we have had this for ~4 years (bought new), and our previous dryer never had this much even after 10 years. Regardless, I pulled out the vacuum and sucked everything I could. I also found a half melted credit credit card (That's where that went!)...I thought this and the smoldering lint had to be the culprit of the smell, so I finished cleaning everything up and assembled everything back to original and gave it a test run - both the squeal/rubbing and the smell persist.

I gave another check to see if the card plastic may have lingered, but the card is whole, just melted. Ran it with casing off to watch and elements seem very hot, the drum too - hotter than my wife recalls the drum ever getting before.

The other concern is that that I am wondering if it is linked somehow.

Thanks for any help/direction you can provide!

Joseph

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Helix1

Premium Member
My apologies for the misinformation and the slow reply.

I was having trouble finding the sticker. It was not in the standard places. Anyhow; WED9550WW1 is the model #.

I also took a closer look at the idler pulley this AM and found that it does not move while the dryer is on (drum spinning). So I think that is pretty clear it needs replacing. What are the reason's this would happen (trying to see if I can prevent it by simple maintenance).

Thanks Jake!

Joseph

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Joseph,

The reason is possibly all the lint you got out of the dryer, that lint can bind up the Idler pulley over time. Also check your belt to make sure its not cracked or worn. Then also check to make sure your drum rollers are turning freely both ways.

I'd clean the lint out or at least check for lint build-up every 6 months to prevent this from happening again.:)

Here's the Idler pulley for your model(Video Included):
Pulley W10547290 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the belt for your model(Video Included):
Drive Belt 661570 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Helix1

Premium Member
Fantastic! I'll check the rest of this out (order and repair) then report back to you.

Thanks for your help.

Warm regards,

Joseph

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Joseph.

Jake