FIXED Whirlpool Duet Steam (WFW86HEBC1) no power to control panel

Brian_R170

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW86HEBC1
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool Duet Steam (WFW86HEBC1) has no power to the control panel. No lights work. No buttons work. The machine is slightly over 5 years old.

It appears to have failed near the end of the load it was washing. Initially, I couldn't get the door open, but I took off the top of the machine reached down and pulled a small white plastic ring that opened the door (I assume that's what it is for). The load felt like the water was spun out like normal, so that's why I think it was at the very end of the washing cycle.

Anyway, after I got the top off, I read through the service manual and performed the "TEST #1: ACU Power Check" procedure. I verified with a meter that it's got 120V at the ACU circuit board, but the "Service LED" on the board is not lit. The manual says that this means the 5V DC supply to the microcontroller is not present and the ACU needs to be replaced. There is no smell of burnt PCB, but I haven't taken the board out of the plastic housing to inspect it closely.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is there a known cheap way to fix it? I was a solder technician while working my way though college 25 years ago, so I can replace parts on the board. I also have some background in electrical engineering and I could probably debug the circuit given enough time, but I definitely don't have enough time.
2. Is it possible that something else caused the failure? My gut is that it's simply a failure in the power supply circuitry on the board.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Brian_R170 said:
Is there a known cheap way to fix it?
No, at least none that I'm aware of. Here's the deal, service techs don't go down to board level (unless it's their machine) for 2 reasons. There are no board schematics or electrical parts available from the manufacturer and it's not cost effective for the tech. APP has the board with a 1 year warranty.

Its less expensive at RepairClinic plus you get $60 cash back when you return your old one:

Brian_R170

Premium Member
OK, I replaced the board. I did a quick check by plugging in the control panel before a screwed the machine all back together, I pressed the power button and the display lit up and looked like it was working, so I unplugged it from the wall and screwed the machine all back together, but when I plugged it in again, the "control lock" light is stuck on. I'm not seeing anything in the service manual about resetting this condition.

Last edited:

Brian_R170

Premium Member
Working now. I unplugged it for a while, then when I plugged it back in, the control lock button actually worked after holding for 3 seconds, whereas previously, it didn't do anything.