• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Duet WFW9550WR00 will not start, just beeps

Waynes_World

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW9550WR00
Brand
Whirlpool
As mentioned in the subject line, I have a WFW9550WR00 that will not start. After hitting the power button, then pressing start to begin the wash, it simply beeps with 3 quick short tones "da-da-dah."

I took the front lower panel off, taped the panel sensor/trigger down, accessed the manual taped inside, followed the instructions to run the diagnostic, and the only code that showed up was F20 (twice).

Then it ran through a series of codes: C01, C08, C00, H03, U15, U14, U00, H01, C00, n00, nC, 999. Then finally clears the display and shows C00, and that is where it quits.

C00 seems to be a test of the washer door lock system, suggesting the failure is in that part.

Since the front panel was off, I went ahead and checked the drain pump. It had a lot of water in it and a little bit of funk but not as much as I would expect considering it is ~10 years old at this point.

Can someone:
1. Confirm my thought process on the above.
2. Provide me with some instructions on testing the door lock mechanism, so I can confirm it has failed prior to spending $120 replacing it? Or should we just buy the part, put it on, confirm it works or send back (via return policy) if not?
3. Is there any way to (temporarily) short-circuit the door check just for a week or two while the part is coming to me, so we can do some laundry this weekend? Otherwise we're headed to the coin-op.

I've had this problem before and opening then closing the door (and perhaps reaching in to give the drum a spin) frequently allows the machine to continue the wash. So it makes sense that the door lock might be the cause of this failure.

Does it make sense to acquire some parts to resolve the F20 at the same time? I disconnected the water lines and everything looked fine, not much sediment on the screens at all, the water pressure from the supply is not the issue. That suggests a problem with the flow sensor, inlet valve, or control board. I have not (thus far) disassembled the control board to look for burn marks as suggested in other posts but will work on that next.

Thank you, Wayne

Waynes_World

Premium Member
Actually I just found this post for a WFW9450WW00 where @Jake provided some details on how to test the door lock mechanism:

I'll work on that next with my multimeter and let you know how it goes.

Waynes_World

Premium Member
I pulled the door assembly out and tested resistance across pins 1 and 3 on the wire connector. The ohms are unstable, generally around 120, and sometimes jumping to infinity. Nowhere near the 320 Ohms that is expected.

Seems like the door lock mechanism is bad after all!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your door lock latch switch assembly is the problem.

Here's the door lock latch switch assembly for your model:
WPW10253483 Latch

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Waynes_World

Premium Member
Thank you for confirming, @Jake. I truly appreciate it! I will get that ordered soon and let you know how it goes.

Any thoughts about the F20 code? It showed up twice in the diagnostics.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, for F20 do all the steps it says to do here:

Screenshot 2022-01-07 10.17.59.png

Waynes_World

Premium Member
Thanks @Jake. I should have noticed that section in the technical repair guide. I'll work on the F20 once the new parts for the door lock are installed!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake