FIXED Whirlpool ED2GHGXMQ00 Ice Maker 626662 Issues

Ustitan

Model Number
ED2GHGXMQ00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

A few weeks ago, my wife noticed water coming from our freezer. after taking a quick look, it was apparent it was coming from our ice maker which was working fine until that point. I lifted the ice maker handle up to the off position, and the water eventually stopped. We cleaned up the mess and tried lowering the arm back down. after a few minutes, there was water everywhere again so we decided to just leave the lever in the off position and deal with it later.

Now its later and I have a free day to deal with it. Ive poked around this forum and watched a few videos and decided to dive in. I decided to remove my ice maker and investigate. what I ended up finding was that the the tube where the water came from was nearly frozen solid. The plastic funnel that transfers the water from the tube to the physical ice maker was also frozen solid. Im assuming there was some sort of blockage at some point, so I cleared all the ice in the way, and reinstalled the ice maker and sent it back on its working way while keeping a close eye on it. At this point it has successfully made 1 round of ice but I do have one concern. Im going to keep monitoring it, but im suspecting that it might very very slowly be trickling water after its filled the ice tray. I had been checking on it frequently during its first ice making session and I had felt with my hand that some ice has been forming on the plastic funnel that routes water from the tube to the ice maker. it doesn't seem like a negligible amount of ice forming as I can remove it in fairly large chunks

Im assuming if it is leaking a small amount of water during the ice making phase, that I need to replace my ice maker. However, one thing I noticed in my searching is that my ice maker part number doesn't really turn up in my searches on appliance parts websites as a replacement part. Rather, im seeing 4317943 turn up for my fridge model. Should I just replace it with a like model ice maker? Also, would it be worth replacing just the circuit board portion of the ice maker rather than the entire unit? Im fairly comfortable doing either as it seems like a fairly easy job from what ive seen.

Also, heres a bit of a overview of what I did/tested
1-Removed/Cleaned ice maker.
2-Removed excess ice build up around fill tube
3-Reinstalled ice maker and allowed it to make ice
4-Jumpered pins T and H to ensure motor works. Passed
5-Jumpered pins V and L to test water filling. it started filling but pressure seemed very high and started spraying somewhat wildly. When ice maker fills itself, it seems to fill at a slower rate then when jumpered so no mess

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:

Ustitan

Rick,

thanks for the quick reply. Just to confirm, when I have my ice maker in the off position, it doesn't leak. When its in the on position, it seemingly leaks although I dont actually see it and only find frozen water on the funnel and it succesfully makes ice.

The only reason I ask is because my first search led me to thread below which has the opposite solution to yours, which is replace the ice maker and its not the valve. I figured a bad inlet valve would leak both when the ice maker is on and off.

rickgburton

Staff member
Ustian said:
I figured a bad inlet valve would leak both when the ice maker is on and off.
It would and it is. You just don't see it. Turn the ice maker off. Remove the mounting screws for the water valve so you can maneuver it. Remove the water line going to the ice maker from the water valve. Maneuver the valve over a dry container or pail and check it after 24 hours. You can still use the dispenser with the water line for the ice maker removed.

Ustitan

Rick,

I linked to the thread I was referencing in my post. The title of the thread is "Whirlpool Icemaker leaking" from 2008 if for some reason the link doesn't show for you.

So is what you're suggesting is that the big ice clump in the back of my freezer by the fill tube is from a very slow leak over the past few weeks? Would I be able to monitor it by seeing the ice grow in my ice maker over the next few days/weeks? I haven't checked back on it today but I can see how it looks in the morning.

rickgburton

Staff member
Ustitan said:
Would I be able to monitor it by seeing the ice grow in my ice maker over the next few days/weeks?
Probably not. This way is cut and dried, and faster:
rickgburton said:
Remove the water line going to the ice maker from the water valve. Maneuver the valve over a dry container or pail and check it after 24 hours.

Ustitan

Rick,

I checked on it this morning, and to my surprise, the fill tube is blocked solid with ice, and my ice tray mold is full with ice. Ill go ahead and order a replacement valve. I probably wont have a chance to replace it this up coming week but ill try update the forum with my results once I do. Thank you for you help so far!

rickgburton

Staff member
Ustitan said:
I linked to the thread I was referencing in my post. The title of the thread is "Whirlpool Icemaker leaking"
Read posts 1 through 5 and 16.. The reason I asked is that thread has 45 posts from several members. I was curious to know which post made you think it was the ice maker and not the valve. Replace the water valve and you're good to go. Keep us posted.

Ustitan

Since I had some time available today, I decided to track down the part locally. The replacement was straight forward. Its making its first tray of ice now which seems like its done. There was no excess ice build-up on the funnel like there was before. Im thinking the new valve solved it! Thanks again for all the help, Rick!