• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool ED5CHQXVT01 refrigerator stopped working…not cooling

Papo

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5CHQXVT01
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Whirlpool ED5CHQXVT01 refrigerator stopped working…not cooling. When I checked, the compressor was hot, and the condenser fan motor was not turning. I let it cool down for about 24 hours and when I plugged it back in, the compressor would start to engage but then turn off in about three seconds, also, the condenser fan motor was not turning. I ordered the fan motor and, after resetting the unit, I replaced the fan motor.

This time, the fan rotor would run, but compressor would still engage but turn off withing a few seconds. I then replaced the start device and the run capacitor but got the same result...compressor would start but turn off quickly. Note that I know for a fact the start device and the run capacitor are getting current. What else can I do, besides replacing the compressor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is the compressor.

Here's your parts diagram:
#28 is the compressor.

Compressor/sealed system work is not a repair a normal consumer can do. Doing compressor/sealed system work is very unique craft that you need to be trained in with lots of hands on experience.

Doing sealed system work requires you to have a turbo torch, acetylene for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, also having a vacuum pump, and the proper amount of R-134a to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

You need to be a certified Type 1 40 CFR part 82, subpart F. AHAM-NARDA Refrigerant Tech. to change Compressors or do any sealed system work involving Freon(Refrigerant Gas). I got certified on 11-17-1994 when i worked for Montgomery Ward Service Dept.

Jake

Papo

Premium Member
Economically wise, would it'll be better if I purchase all parts before calling for a technician? As opposed to calling a technician and letting them perform the troubleshooting and order parts as needed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Economically wise, would it'll be better if I purchase all parts before calling for a technician?
No, most techs don't prefer you do that, that before they come out.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.