• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool ED5FHAXSS02 freezer/fridge side not cooling

Midnightzcrex

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5FHAXSS02
Brand
Whirlpool
I bought this fridge off the Facebook market from a local. They said the temperature controls would need to be tinkered with to get it to cool correctly at times. Im using this fridge as a garage kept fridge.

I recently have noticed that everything in the freezer and fridge has melted and come to warmer temps. The freezer blows cool air but not cold enough. I got down to checking the 3 terminals on the compressor and also the relay that connects to it. All are showing correct resistance readings with a DMM. Condenser fan is working fine and i have cleaned the condenser coils also. The compressor is running hot but the freezer isnt cooling like it should. I pop the cover off the back side of the freezer to look at the evaporator coils and see that just the 2 bottom rows are frosting but the rest are not even cold enough to produce cold temps. The evap fan is working fine. The fridge defrosts perfectly fine because i have watched it and felts the heater come on.

One thing i want to mention is that the back cover did not come with the fridge when i purchased it. I can make a cover for it easily from cardboard. Could the back cover be the issue or could this be a temperature control thermostat issue?

I would really like to keep this fridge going since it helps as storage and i got it for $50. Please any info helps and thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
.... just the 2 bottom rows are frosting but the rest are not even cold enough to produce cold temps.
Unfortunately you have a sealed system problem. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the value of the machine.

Midnightzcrex

Premium Member
How could you tell if there is a leak? Usually r134a freon leaves and distinctive odor and oil residue. I havent seen any of that around any of the lines. If there is a leak shouldnt all of the freon leak out and the fridge not cool at all? This has been like this for a week. It cools but does not get to freezing temps.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Usually r134a freon leaves and distinctive odor and oil residue.
Wrong, R134a is colorless and odorless. The oil you might see depends on where the leak is. A refrigerant leak is only one possibility. The problem could also be an inefficient compressor or a system restriction.