• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool ED5FTGXKT00 Freezer warm no frost on coils

Austie2335

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5FTGXKT00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi all,

Model number is whirlpool ED5FTGXKT00

Fridge is from 2001

This happened once before but after unplugging, it somehow started working again.

The freezer just started not freezing. This happened over about a one day period - from working fine to 37 degrees F. I checked the condenser coils and they are clean. I also pulled the case and checked the evaporator coils and they have no frost at all, especially no freeze over. The compressor is clicking and very warm to the touch - I believe it is attempting to cycle as the condenser fan is running continually.

Right now the fridge and freezer are both around 50 degrees F and the both fans are running (compressor and evaporator fans) and the compressor is clicking about every 2-3 minutes. Any further ideas on testing/checking?

So I have a feeling this is a dead or dying compressor - but before I hate just replacing appliances and fix everything I own. Is this worth a call to an appliance repair company, or is it time to find a new fridge?

Attachments

• 113610BB-0840-4B45-8C64-FECD20C47C20.jpeg
    113610BB-0840-4B45-8C64-FECD20C47C20.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 8818715A-7D61-43F4-9631-BEF40A74548F.jpeg
    8818715A-7D61-43F4-9631-BEF40A74548F.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 48

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's our main thread on this compressor start device relay:

You can check your compressor start relay.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

Once you have the back cover removed you will be able to see the compressor.

The start relay will be located on the side of the compressor. The start relay shown on this side by side whirlpool refrigerator is white and has a white and red wire going to it.

Remove the old start relay by pulling it off by hand. If it does not pull of by hand easily you may have to put the tip of a flat blade screw driver between the start relay and the body of the compressor to help pry it off. Most of the time you can remove them without any force.

Shake that relay, if it rattles and little plastic pieces are falling out of it then its definitely bad.

Here's the compressor start relay for your model you can order here if yours rattles:
8201786 Compressor Starting Device Kit

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Austie2335

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the tip - I ordered a new fridge, but a certain big box store changed my delivery date from 1 week to 5 months after I paid my money. So I decided to clean up the old fridge and check out the repair you suggested.

You hit it on the head, my old compressor start relay sounded broken. I took it apart and found the PTC resistor inside the relay was bad and broken into many pieces.

I replaced the whole start relay with a new relay and thermal breaker and it runs like a champ.

As a note, I always repair things rather than buy new - and this is now just one more thing I have fixed with the help of friendly advice like yours - thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Austie, glad to hear the new compressor start relay fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake