FIXED Whirlpool ED5GVEXVD00 side by side ice maker wiring help

chrishart32

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5GVEXVD00
Brand
Whirlpool
So recently the ice maker in my whirlpool model# ED5GVEXVD00 side by side refrigerator stopped working. I ordered a replacement part, hooked it up last night however still had no ice which means I need to try & replace the wiring harness. I thought it plugged right into the inside wall of the freezer however once I removed the rubber stopper that surrounded the wires it appears that they go much deeper into the side of the freezer. I've dug around the wires a few inches however I haven't seen the connector yet so I'm wondering if the wires wrap around all the way to the back or something. I don't want to go much further without knowing for sure to avoid additional damage. Is this something that can even be replaced?

I've looked around for awhile online but have yet to find what I'm looking for. Even in the parts breakdown of this model of fridge it doesn't show the wiring.

Has anyone else attempted to replace the wiring for this model of fridge? If so, please let me know what I need to do. thank you.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the ice maker for this model:
Ice Maker Assembly WPW10190965

You can't replace that wire harness on this model.

Whenever you replace a ice maker it can take up to 72 hours to start making ice, did you get it 72 hours first? If so, Put your multimeter PROBES in L and N on the ice maker module and you should get 120 volts.

Jeff has a basic ice maker module test help page here: http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker-modual.html

Now on some models you have to push and hold the door switch in while testing for 120 volts.

Jake

chrishart32

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you for the information, I connected it back up & checked the L & N points & got 0V both with door open & closed (door switch pushed) so it's not getting power confirming what I thought was likely as the wire harness contact for power was darkened like it had burnt out from the previous motor. What I could find online the harness needed to be replaced in that scenario which is why I went trying to remove it. I'll leave it connected & recheck it over the next couple days but it sounds like I may be S.O.L. It's not possible to simply replace the protection thing on the power line that is in the white rectangle? I think it's like the emergency shut off to power should the motor burn out.

--Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you ohm test the in-line fuse on the wire harness?

Look here:
(click to enlarge)
fusible_wiring.jpg

That black wire has the inline fuse in it, see that whitish bulge in that black wire? That's your inline fuse.

Here is the fix using NTE8118 thermal fuse:
(click to enlarge)
Thermal fuse ice maker harness.jpg

Jake

chrishart32

Premium Member
Jake,
I have not, is there a way to do that without cutting into the wires? It looks like the inline fuse is covered on both ends.

--Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chris,

Only way to do it is to cut that black wire, don't cut it too close to that thermal fuse. Unplug your refrigerator first before ohm testing!

Jake

chrishart32

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you for all the information. Since I need to cut into the wiring I think I'm just gonna order a replacement fuse (or a few of them) & replace what's there. Gives me an excuse to pick up some new tools lol. I haven't had an electronics related project in awhile.

--Chris

chrishart32

Premium Member
Jake,
Just wanted to say thank you again for all the info, specifically the fuse part #. I replaced it yesterday & the ice maker is working once again. :)

--Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Chris, glad to hear the new fuse fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake