• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool ED5KVEXVB00 Fridge - freezer leaking every few days

ari1

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5KVEXVB00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,
We have a Whirlpool ED5KVEXVB00 That leaks from the bottom left (freezer side) of the unit every few days. The bottom of the freezer has a thin sheet of ice and that water overflows out of the freezer onto the floor. I appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Its likely your defrost drain hole/line is clogged, not allowing the defrost water to drain to the drip pan in the back of your refrigerator.

Take the back panel off from inside the freezer again and check if you see an ice clog in the drain trough.

#19 is your evaporator coil, #23 is the drain trough with the drain hole in the middle here:

If its iced up, get a hair dryer and hot water to clear all the ice out.

Also run something down the drain hole after you clear all the ice out, as well as hot water down the drain hole, then run a little bleach down it too.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: https://www.azpartsmaster.com/products/24-evaporative-cooler-flexible-spider-snake_913

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Also Compressed air is fine.

Then remove the back panel screws #15, and the back panel #14 just pulls off:

Jake