Whirlpool ED5NHAXNT01, Freezer and Refrigerator too warm

John Ghast

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5NHAXNT01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool ED5NHAXNT01, and a while ago the freezer and refrigerator got warm. I was thinking of replacing the cold control thermostat. Right now the refrigerator is at 50, and the freezer is at 40. The appliance is 14 years old. I replaced the defrost thermostat, but that didn't do much. I'm wondering what I should do next.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check if the compressor is running by putting your hand on it. It should be warm not hot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also while you check the compressor, make sure your condenser fan is running, it sits next to the compressor.:)

Jake

John Ghast

Premium Member
Sorry, for not replying sooner I've been busy with a bunch of things. I put my hand on the compressor and it was warm, and the fan next to it was running. Also this weekend I noticed the freezer got down to 20° this weekend, that's the coldest I've seen it get. What should I check next?

rickgburton

Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the compressor and fans still running while its at 20 degrees? Or is the refrigerator dead silent at 20 degrees?

Jake

John Ghast

Premium Member
Ok I replaced the cold control part, plugged it in and let it run overnight. It's still only sitting at 30 F, and not getting any ice. I took a video hoping it will help you guys figure out what is wrong with it. What should I do next?

The compressor is kinda hot, like after 3 seconds it got uncomfortable for me to keep my hand on it.

EDIT: After posting this I went up stairs to push it back, and noticed the compressor and fan are now off. The freezer compartment is at 35 F.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
That sounds like a sealed system issue. Unplug the machine and take the start device off the compressor and unplug the run capacitor from the start device. Here's how to check the start device and the compressor windings:
R-Start Device-new.jpg

R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
I can read your meter but I can't tell where the test leads are. If the measurements don't match my diagram, return the start device ( a start capacitor is a different animal) for a replacement.

John Ghast

Premium Member
Ok, When I get home I'll return the start capacitor. Also for what I'm measuring here.
1568819080522.png
1568819197013.png
1568819263442.png
1568819363645.png

This should help clean up what exactly I'm reading. The thing that bugs me is that before, with my old start device, I was able to at least freeze a bucket of water. I didn't get any ice in the ice box, and only the top layer of the water bucket froze, the inside of the freezer was at like 25 F. Now its like at 40 F, with this new start device I'll update with better readings after work. On a final note, This is actually the second start Device I've bought, I'm thinking of just buying a new fridge freezer, what do you recommend if it does come to that?

rickgburton

Staff member
Looks like the compressor windings are good and the start device is bad. Check your old start device and see if it's also bad.