Whirlpool ED5PVEXWS00 Clicking noise

Samsam

Model Number
ED5PVEXWS00
Brand
Whirlpool
So there was a clicking sound in my ED5PVEXWS00 refrigerator. I kept wanting to work on it but put it off for about a month . My husband is away so that’s not much help there. A month later in the middle of preparations to a big party of 50 gusts, ice slowly started to defrost and come evening it went all off. No cooling in my fridge and freezer. Can hear the fan come on. No clicking now and no cooling.

Any idea if this could be the relay start, condenser , or compressor? If it’s the compressor it’s not worth repairing, it cost almost $500. I know Calling a service man is easy but most of them take $100- $150 to call in . I’ve seen a few you tube videos but thought will ask this expert group here .

I don’t have equipment to test the voltage so before I hit Home Depot tell me what all I need to buy to test this unit.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You need a DMM that can measure VAC, VDC and Resistance or Ω. They're not expensive and takes about 30 minutes or less to get it figured out.

Unplug the refrigerator. Take the start device off of the compressor. It pulls straight off. If there's a run capacitor connected to the start device, remove it. Measure the resistance of the overload and relay in the start device. Here's how:
R-OL-SD TEST.jpg
Measure the resistance of the compressor windings. Here's how:
R -Compressor Windings Test.jpg
This DMM has everything you need plus. This will become the most valuable tool in your tool box.

The problem is most likely to be the start device: