• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool ED5VHEXTL01 freezer temperature fluctuating -20F to +40F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase7678

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5VHEXTL01
Brand
Whirlpool
Good morning,

The temperature within the freezer of our side-by-side refrigerator is very sporadic. We've emptied it of food now (food still in fridge because that seems to be pretty much OK) and I have just a basic thermometer in there recording temperature which I peek at a couple of times a day. I currently have the freezer & fridge temperature knobs maxed out on 5. I've seen the thermometer reading anywhere from -20ºF thru +40ºF. When the temperature is up the compressor is not on and no fans are running but there's no sign of the defrost cycle running (at least not when I've opened the door). There is no suction pulling the doors shut which there is when it's at the desired temperature. The fan adjacent to the compressor runs just fine whenever the compressor is running - are there any other fans? Neither of the coils have any evident frost at any time and there's no moisture in the tray below the condensing coil when I've looked. The evaporator coils are pretty choked up with dust - I did try to clean since this problem started a week or so ago with a coil brush but I wasn't able to remove very much of the dust sadly. The compressor is certainly warm - I was able to keep my index finger on the top of it for around 15 seconds just now before it became intolerable.

Everything else aside, would this classify the compressor as shot or should I persist with trying to fix the temperature fluctuation?

If should persist, does anybody have any advice what I should be checking? Reading other posts it appears I should be checking/replacing the thermistor - if so where would I find this?

Thank you for any help,

Jason.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jason,

Its either the temperature control thermostat or the defrost board.

Next time it stops hit underneath the control knob with the palm of your hand and see if it turns on.

If so, then you need the temperature control thermostat:
Temperature Control Thermostat WP2198202

Jake

Jase7678

Premium Member
Wow - hitting underneath the control knob kicked the compressor and fans back into life! Thanks a lot, Jake!

Is there one of these for each of the two knobs?

Thanks again,

Jason.

Jase7678

Premium Member
Jake, I answered my own question: I watched the repair video available from the part you provided a link to and confirmed only one of these is needed.

Thanks again,

Jason.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You got it Jason!

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

Jase7678

Premium Member
New part fixed the problem :)

Note to others: my new part was physically quite different to the original one. The part# was the same. The biggest difference was that the 2 connections on the left hand side were side by side along the top edge rather than being on top of one another. As such it wasn't clear how I should wire the new part since there were 2 different color wires. A quick call to AppliancePartsPros confirmed that the orientation of the wires did not matter.

Thanks for removing the need for me to buy a new refrigerator!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jason, glad to hear the new temperature control thermostat fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

That is correct, orientation of the wires does not matter.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.