• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool ET16JKXHW00 Fridge not cooling

Pigeon

Premium Member
Model Number
ET16JKXHW00
Brand
Whirlpool
Freezer is cold, refrigerator section is not.

Yesterday, the evaporator coil was frozen, resulting in resulting in no cooling. I accessed the coil and thawed it. The freezer is at 0°, and the fresh food section is about 55.

There is little to no air flow coming from the freezer to the refrigerator section. The fan works great. I've checked the supply duct, as well as the return ducts. Both are clear, with no build up. The coil has a normal amount of slight frost on it.

I'm stumped as to why there is no air flow. It looks as if it's a straight, wide open path for the air.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You need to put the evaporator cover back in place, so the evaporator fan can channel the air below to the refrigerator section.:)

If the evaporator coil in the freezer had massive frost build-up on it, then you will need to locate the bad part and replace it or this problem will keep happening.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#4 is your defrost timer, which is located in the middle console control box #12 on the ceiling in the refrigerator section.

Next time this happens get a flathead screwdriver and put it in the access hole on the bottom of that middle console control box and slowly turn the defrost timer slowly till you hear a big click sound, then stop, and now it will be in the defrost cycle, at that point give it a few minutes and feel for heat from the defrost heating element under that evaporator coil.

If you get heat, then that indicates your defrost thermostat and defrost heater are good, so the defrost timer would be the bad part.

Here's the defrost timer for your model:
WP2183400 Timer

Jake

Pigeon

Premium Member
The evaporator cover and all parts are in place.

I understand there is an issue that caused the frost in the 1st place. The frost was massive, up to a 1/2 inch of ice in places.

It is now cooling the freezer section properly, and the coil only has a very light frost on it. The freezer reads -2°, while the fresh food section is about 56°. It just doesn't have any air flow to the refrigerator. That's the part that has me stumped. I don't see how anything could block that air. The refrigerator is running non stop now.

Could the defrost system cause this if it failed?

Thank you for the reply.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Something has to be blocking the air flow, this doesn't make sense at all.

If the freezer evaporator fan motor is running and your evaporator cover is in place, you should be getting good air flow down to the refrigerator section, if no vents are blocked with ice.

Jake